National Chess Champion cleared of attempted robbery charge

National Chess Champion Wendell Meusa was yesterday cleared of the charge of assault with intent to rob instituted against him on June 15, after the complainant testified that he was not her assailant.

The 25-year-old told Stabroek News yesterday that Prosecutor Joel Ricknauth had indicated to Magistrate Judy Latchman that the complainant, Sheliza Mohammed, no longer wished to offer evidence in the matter.

Mohammed then made a sworn statement in which she explained that she was prompted to end the case against Meusa after she saw a photograph which suggested to her that Meusa was not the perpetrator, Meusa said.

At this point, he continued, the magistrate announced that the matter against him had been dismissed and he is a free man.

Meusa told Stabroek News that from the initial stage of his arrest, he had tried to explain to the police that they had the wrong man, but he was prevented from doing so after the police assaulted him.

He said he was appalled at the police’s failure to conduct thorough investigations before venturing

to deprive a man of his liberty.

Meusa shared that the news of the charge alarmed and saddened his family, who thankfully, did not believe he would ever involve himself in such crimes.

But what is most upsetting, Meusa said, is the fact that there is no assurance that the rest of society feels that way.

Meusa informed Stabroek News that further details about his wrongful arrest will be related in an official press release today.

It was previously reported after the matter’s first hearing in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court, that Meusa, 25, of Lot 142 Guyhoc Park, was released on $150,000 bail after denying that he committed the alleged assault on Mohammed on June 15, at High Street.

He was unrepresented and made an application for bail on his own behalf.

Mohammed, the complainant, was present at the hearing with visible signs of injury to her head and elbow. But no details pertaining to the crime were related to the court by Ricknauth.

Ricknauth did not object to bail, which was granted by Magistrate Judy Latchman.

 

Comments  

Temporary arrivals terminal at CJIA

The Management of Cheddi Jagan International Airport Corporation (CJIAC) is currently undertaking a massive expansion project  and a Temporary Arrivals Terminal Building was recently constructed.

T&T tourism development company dissolved, 111 lose jobs

Tourism Minister Shamfa Cudjoe announced the decision to close the company. (Trinidad Express) The Tourism Development Company (TDC) has ceased operations.

WPA expresses concern over garbage arrangements

Cevons clearing city garbage WPA STATEMENT ON THE UNRESOLVED ISSUE OF GARBAGE COLLECTION IN THE GEORGETOWN MUNICIPALITY The WPA is deeply concerned that the Georgetown City Council’s inability to honour its financial obligations to Cevons Waste Management and Puran Brothers has the potential of endangering the health and lives of citizens.

UK hoped for more progress on constitutional reform – Quinn

British High Commissioner to Guyana Greg  Quinn  yesterday said that it was hoped that more would have been done to push the constitutional reform process forward.

West Coast Berbice man dies after reportedly setting house afire

A West Coast Berbice man died after he reportedly set his one-storey house ablaze sometime around 11.20 am yesterday.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×