St George’s defeat Bishops’ 4-2 to reach final four

St. George’s yesterday reached the semi-finals of the Premiership Group u-17 Secondary Schools Football tourney by defeating Bishops’ High School 4-2 at the Ministry of Education ground.

Robby McClaggon opened the scoring for the North Road outfit in the eighth minute of the 70 minutes encounter with a solo run and right footed finish into the left side of the goal from inside the centre of the area.

However, the lead would be brief as Joel Morrison levelled proceedings four minutes later with a penalty kick conversion to the back of the net, after Jameel Wilson brought down an opposing

player inside the area with a wild challenge.

St. George’s would retake the lead in the 17th minute as Sheldon Reid netted, finishing his right footed strike into the back of the net from inside the box, after receiving a cross from the right side of the field.

The back and forth nature of the matchup would continue in the 22nd minute as Imran Khan etched his name on the scorer’s sheet for Bishops’ High, placing his right sided free kick over the hands of the goalkeeper down the middle of the goal.

Custodian Joshua Williams would then deny Bishops’ High from taking the shock lead three minutes onward as he smartly saved a penalty kick after the Carmichael Street unit was awarded the spot-kick following a clumsy challenge by Neil Cameron inside the box.

Bishops’ would quickly pay for their failure to capitalize on their recent opportunity as McClaggon netted his second in the 27th minute with a simple finish into the left corner, after a cross from the left side of the field evaded the defensive line.

Despite leading the matchup, the Church Road unit would be dealt an unfortunate setback in the 39th minute as Okeri Codrington was shown a red card for using abusive language on the field.

Jameel Wilson, however, would seal the win for St. George’s in the 45th minute with a well-placed header into the left hand corner, after collecting left sided cross from a resulting corner kick within the centre of the box.

With the win, St. George’s will oppose the winner of the St, Mary’s and Tutorial High fixture. Also securing a berth to the final four section was North Ruimveldt Multilateral who defeated St. Stanislaus by a 2-0 margin.

Tyrese Rowley opened the scoring in the 37th minute with a curling left footed strike from the left side of the box that struck the middle of the right upright and settled into the back of the goal.

Matthew Harrison would then seal the win in the 69th minute, finishing his effort down the middle of the goal from within the box while being surrounded by three defenders. Due to the victory, North Ruimveldt will match skills with the victor of the Lodge Secondary and Queenstown Secondary matchup.

Around the Web