The Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) yesterday advised that a murder charge be levelled against Seon Anthony Edwards over the death of – miner, Rawle Peters five years ago, the police say.
Peters was fatally stabbed following an altercation on September 10, 2010 and he succumbed on the Puruni Trail, Cuyuni/ Mazaruni while efforts were being made to transport him to the Bartica Hospital. Relatives had said that his size would have made it impossible for one person to successfully attack him and they opined that more than one person carried out the attack. It was reported that Peters had told his relatives that he was threatened during a fight some time ago and it was suspected that the attack stemmed from this old misunderstanding.
Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum yesterday told Stabroek News that Edwards, called `Rasta man’, 26, a vendor of Diamond, East Bank Demerara is expected to be charged on Monday.
He had been on the run since September 10, 2010, when he fled after he allegedly stabbed Peters, called ‘Papaw’ of Lot 21 North Haslington, East Coast Demerara and was arrested on Monday at Regent and Hinck streets, Georgetown by ranks of the Criminal Investigation Department. The murder accused reportedly confessed to the crime by telling investigators that he and Peters had had an argument over some stolen money and he dealt him a single stab wound.
A post-mortem examination performed on Peters revealed that he died as a result of a puncture to the heart.