Police to seek DPP advice on Mahdia rape probe

The police have completed their investigations into the alleged drugging and gang raping of a woman which occurred a month ago at the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) building at Mahdia, according to Divisional Commander Senior Superintendent Ravindradat Budhram.

Budhram said a file will soon be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice. He added that the four men implicated in the crime had been arrested and questioned and investigators had collected a statement from the virtual complainant.

It was reported to Stabroek News that the 25-year-old woman was invited for a drink by a GGMC cook. As she made her way up the hallway of one of the buildings at the location she passed three men. She then met the cook, with whom she was familiar, and he offered her a beer which she accepted. Her next conscious moment was on a bed in a room with four men, one of whom was lying next to her. There were used condoms nearby and she was in severe pain.

She managed to escape and after recounting the episode to relatives, travelled to Georgetown almost immediately. The woman has relatives living at Mahdia and she was visiting them. She had already been in the area for several days when the rape occurred.

An official police report was made the following day at the CID Headquarters, Eve Leary when the woman would have reached the city. The woman was later taken to the hospital to be medically examined. Police were also shown several text messages sent to the woman by the cook in which he apologized for his actions and asked for forgiveness.

Contacted, a relative of the VC said that since the ordeal, she is socializing less. He said though that she appeared to be doing better.

This newspaper was informed that the relatives of one of the implicated men contacted the woman and offered to settle. She declined, he said.

The relative said he was dissatisfied with how the police investigated the matter adding that even though the commander means well, “there is only so much he can do.”

The GGMC had also sent in a team to the area to conduct a separate investigation. It is unclear if that has been completed.


Around the Web