‘A’ Field, Sophia house goes up in flames

A fire just before noon yesterday reduced a two-storey wooden and concrete house to rubble at ‘A’ Field, Sophia, Greater Georgetown.

While residents suggested the origin of the fire was electrical, the occupant of the home Nandkishore “Ravi” Ragnauth told Stabroek News that he was not present when it started and declined to comment further. Ragnauth told investigators that he left home around 10.30 am and approximately an hour later he was informed that the house owned by his mother was in flames.

When Stabroek News arrived on the scene fire-fighters were observed battling the blaze and later managed to contain it. Neighbours said that when the fire-fighters got to the scene the entire upper flat of the house had already been consumed by the flames. At this point, the fire-fighters sprang into action with the aid of public-spirited citizens and began to fight the fire.

A fire-fighter on the scene putting out the blaze.
A fire-fighter on the scene putting out the blaze.

Dell David who resides next door to the house told Stabroek News that residents formed a bucket brigade and attempted to put out the fire but their efforts were in vain as the fire quickly grew and consumed the house.

Nandkishore Ragnauth (centre) speaking with neighbours about the fire.
Nandkishore Ragnauth (centre) speaking with neighbours about the fire.

According to David, he was in his house when he smelt the smoke, upon checking he said he saw his neighbour’s house in flames. He went on to say his family members immediately began to “soak the sides of the wall of our house and the one at the back of us. The gutter was melting from the heat,” he explained.

This newspaper was further informed by David that within fifteen minutes the house was aflame. He noted that after the windows shattered from the heat, the wind contributed to the house being quickly ravaged.

Meanwhile, another neighbour told Stabroek News that he saw fire coming from the electrical wire connected to the house.  The man who didn’t want to be named stated that first responders attempted to put out the small blaze but they didn’t succeed.

The neighbour added that a crew from the Guyana Power and Light subsequently visited and disconnected the electricity.

Meanwhile, Ragnauth told investigators that he had not left any electrical appliances on and made sure he checked the house before leaving.

Stabroek News was told that the house was furnished with modern amenities and the losses are said to be in the millions.

Around the Web

Comments