Murder suspect arrested after 20 years on the run

After 21 years on the run, a murder suspect was arrested by police on Saturday.

This was confirmed by Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum, who told Stabroek News yesterday that the suspect has since confessed to the 1995 murder and will soon be charged.

The exact date that the murder took place could not be ascertained yesterday as investigators were still looking for the file.

Stabroek News was told that the suspect stabbed David Ramcharran to death at 7 Miles, Potaro. The suspect is now 40 years old and lived at Princeville, Potaro.

He reportedly told police that earlier in the night they were drinking and while heading home, Ramcharran pulled out a cutlass. He said that he pulled out a knife and inflicted the fatal wound. The man claimed that out of fear, he fled the scene and decided that he would not turn himself in but would wait until police arrested him.

Blanhum said that the man was arrested after his brother made an allegation that he had stabbed him. It was while in custody that police were tipped off that he had fatally stabbed a man in 1995. While being questioned, the man confessed to the crime.

Commander of ‘F’ Division Ravindradat Budhram, in an invited comment, told Stabroek News that the ranks in his division are persistently pursuing persons on the wanted list.

He said that the breakthrough in this case is testimony to the fact that police can solve crimes committed decades ago, particularly with the assistance of the public. He said that since he took up the helm in the division, he has noticed that members of the public are providing investigators with vital information.

Budhram said too that “a lot of old cases are popping up” and there are others that ranks are currently working on.

Comments  

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Just days after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 site in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s subsidiary, EEPGL is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site.

US government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – The world’s most powerful government shut down today after President Donald Trump and the U.S.

House approves $1.93 billion for sugar severance

-number of redundant workers at 4,763 The National Assembly yesterday approved nearly $2 billion to facilitate full severance by the end of January for a little more than 1,600 of the 4,763 sugar workers that have been made redundant.

Gov’t meets unions on sugar industry’s future

Following criticism over government’s handling of the restructuring of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), President David Granger and members of his Cabinet yesterday met with the leadership of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers’ Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) to discuss the future of the sugar industry.

Baramita mother, 18, succumbs after beating by partner

An 18-year-old woman succumbed on Thursday evening, one day after she was allegedly beaten by her common-law husband during an argument at Baramita, in Region One (Barima-Waini).

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×