The United States Embassy is happy to answer some common questions that travelers may have about applying for their U.S. holiday visa.  This excerpt is specifically about holiday (B1/B2) non-immigrant visas.  We will be covering other types of non-immigrant visas (such as student visas) in future columns.


Q: How do I apply for a non-immigrant holiday (B1/B2) visa?


A: Below are the step-by-step instructions of how to apply for a holiday visa:


Step 1: Determine the type of visa required to travel to the United States. Information about visa types can be found at travel/en.html.


Step 2: Complete the online visa application form, DS-160. The DS-160 is a U.S. Government on-line form and can only be completed at https://ceac. Each applicant must complete this form before using any services on this website.


Step 3: Register for visa services and pay the visa processing fee.

Visit our Visa Information Service website at http://Guyana.usvisa-info. com and register for visa services by clicking on the “Create Account” button.

Follow the steps outlined and print the two (2) deposit slips which must be presented at any branch of Scotiabank Guyana to make your application fee payment.  The application fee for the holiday visa is US$160.

Step 4: Schedule your interview appointment. Within two business days of paying your visa processing fee at Scotiabank Guyana, you will able to schedule your visa appointment online at


Step 5: Attend your interview at the U.S. Embassy. Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your appointment time.

Bring along your passport, one 2×2 inch photo, and your application confirmation page. Applicants under the age of 18 must submit original birth certificates issued within the past two (2) years by the General Registrar’s Office.

Step-by-step instructions to apply for a holiday visa can be found here: You may also call our Visa Information Center on telephone number 225-8732 for assistance.


Q: Do I need to register and apply online?

A: Yes, you must register and apply online.

Q: If I am sponsored for an IV (permanent) visa, can I apply for a non-immigrant holiday (B1/B2) visa?

A: Yes, you may apply. Persons with pending Immigrant Visa applications are not precluded from applying for non-immigrant visas. Submitting a non-immigrant visa application will also have no adverse effect on any pending immigrant visa petition. You will, however, have to convince the interviewing officer that you have strong ties to Guyana that will compel you to return after a trip to the U.S.

Q: If I am a Guyanese citizen, but live in another country, do I need to apply in Guyana?

A: No, you do not need to apply in Guyana.  You should apply at the Embassy or Consulate where you presently reside.  Conversely, if you are a foreign national residing and working in Guyana, you may apply and interview at the U.S. Embassy in Guyana.  Applicants for visas should generally apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside of your country of permanent residence.

Q: Are there approved visa application sites or special internet cafes that the embassy would recommend for visa applications?

A: The Embassy does not endorse or recommend any internet cafes.  We strongly encourage you to fill out the application form yourself. If you do choose to use a visa preparation service, such as an internet café or consultant, it is your responsibility to ensure the information they enter into your DS-160 application is complete and accurate.  You are responsible for all errors in your application, which may jeopardize your qualification for a visa.  The best way to ensure that your application is accurate and complete is to fill out the form yourself.  All the information and forms needed to apply for a visa are available free of charge on the Embassy’s website visas/nonimmigrant-visas/.

“Ask the Consul” from the U.S. Embassy Consular Section answers questions about U.S. immigration law and visa issues. If you have a general question about visa policy, please email it to us at We select questions every other week and publish the answers in Stabroek News.

Information about visas and travel can be viewed at,, and http://www.

Applicants are strongly encouraged to prepare their own documents and avoid third-party advice. Regulations change frequently and non-US government advisors frequently provide inadequate, incomplete and inaccurate information.

Other than the columns you see printed here, we aren’t able to respond to questions sent to Ask the Consul. Please contact the Visa Information Service on telephone number 225-8732 or 703-439-2359 if you have procedural questions or e-mail for case specific information.

Around the Web