Corentyne man found guilty of murdering mother-in-law

A Corentyne man was on Friday afternoon found guilty by a jury at the High Court in New Amsterdam of murdering his mother-in-law, Neelawattie Isaac also known as ‘Navita’, 36, on  December 16th, 2014 at Whim Village, Corentyne.

Ian Saraswati, who was handed the death penalty for the murder, was represented by attorneys at law, Tania Clements and Horatio Edmonson. A total of nine witnesses were called to the stand.

Isaac was at her brother’s house at Whim, Corentyne with her daughter, Serojine Isaac when Saraswati walked into the kitchen with a cutlass in his hand and chopped her in her head. He then dealt his wife, Serojine  chops to her hand and leg.

Ian Saraswati

Both women were rushed to the Port Mourant Hospital, while relatives grabbed hold of Saraswati. The elder Isaac was transferred to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital and then later to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where she succumbed.

Serojine Isaac during her testimony told the court that Saraswati while carrying out the attack told her that her mother must make peace not separation. A few days prior to the attack Serojine had separated from Saraswati and was residing with her mother. Serojine said that she lived with Saraswati for two years and that he was always abusive to her whenever he consumed alcohol.

She said that she, her mother and aunt were in her uncle’s kitchen when Saraswati walked in with the cutlass and chopped her mother in her head and then chopped her on her hand and right leg.

Neelawattie Isaac

Saraswati was taken to the hospital by the police. However, Serojine said while at the hospital he told her, “Wah you want you get”. It was denied during the trial that Isaac’s relatives had dealt Saraswati lashes about his body. Meanwhile, Clements during her closing address highlighted the discrepancies in one of the witnesses’ name. She pointed out that the name the witness gave to

Serojine Isaac

the court and the name he signed on the post mortem results were not the same. She also highlighted that the prosecution did not put forth any evidence to say the name was of the right person, that is to say Neelawattie’s father. She also told the jury that once there was reasonable doubt in their minds they should find her client not guilty.

The jury, after deliberating late Friday afternoon for about thirty minutes, unanimously found Saraswati guilty. He was sentenced to death.

Around the Web