Dead miner, unconscious wife found in Cummings Lodge house

Police are counting on an autopsy to shed light on the cause of death of miner Kevin Dawson, whose partially-decomposed body was found on Monday in his Cumming’s Lodge apartment, where his unconscious wife was also found lying next him in their bed.

This is according to Commander of ‘C’ Division Calvin Brutus, who told Stabroek News in an invited comment yesterday that the dead man’s wife, Cindy Dawson, a teacher at a nursery school, was not in any condition to provide the police with any information on the incident. The woman remained hospitalised up to last evening.

Cindy Dawson and her husband, Kevin Dawson

The partially-decomposed body of Kevin, 35, of Lot 7 GEC Scheme, Cummings Lodge, East Coast Demerara, was discovered around 6.30 pm on Monday in the apartment he shared with his wife.

The police said that during the discovery, Cindy was found in an unconscious state and she was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital.

Investigators were unable to determine if Kevin’s body bore any marks of violence due to the advanced state of decomposition.

When Stabroek News visited the apartment yesterday, a tenant from another apartment at the house said she last saw Cindy last Wednesday. She said the discovery of the woman and her husband was made after a few of Cindy’s colleagues visited her apartment in search of her after several calls and messages to her phone went unanswered. “They sense something wrong because they say she don’t usually absent from work. So when they come, they went straight to the landlady and she came downstairs and call out for Cindy,” the tenant, who wished not to be named, said.

She explained that after several calls and loud knocking on the door went unanswered, they sensed something was amiss and decided to break into the apartment by removing several louvre panes. It was then that the gruesome discovery was made.

“Soon as they open the window so, they get a strong smell and when they check, they saw Kevin body on the bed. He did done decomposed and they say Cindy went lay down next to he,” she added.

The woman said for the past several years she has been living at the premises she never heard the couple arguing at any point or saw any signs that would indicate that they had any problems. “They always use to live nice but I can’t say if they had any problem or what,” she said.

She further related that late last year, Kevin purchased a car for Cindy. The car, she said, sustained some damage after Cindy was involved in an accident last week. “I don’t know if because of this they had any argument and what happen,” she noted.

The tenant, however, related, that a little more than three months ago, Kevin returned home from the interior after he fell sick with malaria. “Every morning I use to hear he vomit but for the past couple days since last week I didn’t hear anything and I didn’t check because I know they does go dey way and come back and be in there easy,” she said.

The post-mortem examination is scheduled to be performed today.

Around the Web