Indian national, wife robbed of car in seawall attack

The car, PNN 3428, which was stolen from the Singhs

A trip to the seawall by an Indian national and his wife ended with them being held at gunpoint by bandits, who robbed them of their car on Friday evening.

Harjeet Singh, 55, who is a technical engineer, and his wife, Jessie Singh, 40, of Garnett Street, New-town, Kitty, parked their car, PNN 3428, on the Seawall Public Road and went for a walk along the seawall.

However, after they returned to the vehicle, they were attacked by two bandits, who were both armed. The men relieved them of the keys to their Toyota Premio car, which is valued at $1.8 million and other valuables.

Jessie explained to this newspaper that Harjeet was sitting on the seawall and she was standing when she felt an object being placed to her head. “The person told me don’t scream or say anything and when I looked at my husband, there was someone else who held him at knife point,” the still traumatised woman said.

She explained that one of the bandits relieved her husband of his cell phone, the house keys and car keys before emptying his pocket, which contained about $12,000. “Then they said, ‘Okay, this is the car key?’ But we aint answer and one of them ask me where is my phone and cash and I said, ‘I don’t have anything,’” Jessie related.

The bandits then headed to the car, which was parked a short distance away and drove away.

The men drove off, heading onto Vlissengen Road and then into David Street before disappearing.

Jessie said she immediately raised an alarm. She said she first stopped a man that was heading in their direction and requested a call but he had no credit. As a result, she decided to stop a passing vehicle. “The vehicle had a man and his wife and I told them what just happened and that we need to go to the police station but didn’t have any money,” she said. They were transported to the Kitty Police Station.

However, Jessie said while they were given some form of assistance there, they were referred to the Albertown Police Station, after being informed that the robbery occurred out of the jurisdiction of the Kitty station.  “The rank there sent out a station to station report after I told him what happened and then he sent a rank with us to the scene and when we go back [to the station] he told us that we need to go to Albertown and make the report because where the incident happen doesn’t fall under the Kitty Police Station,” she said.

Up to last evening, the car was not yet recovered despite numerous searches.



Around the Web