Rodrigues disruptive behaviour drives witness off stand

Crum-Ewing murder PI

Magistrate Judy Latchman was forced to adjourn her court, due to uncontrollable outbursts and interruptions from Regan Rodrigues, the man accused of murdering political activist Courtney Crum-Ewing, during the testimony of Police Assistant Superintendent Mitchell Caesar, as the recently re-opened preliminary inquiry into the murder, continued yesterday.

Caesar, who was the first witness invited to the stand by Special Prosecutor Nigel Hughes, was cut short in his testimony by Rodrigues who began to hurl insulting remarks at him. The Assistant Superintendent who tried on several occasions to speak, eventually gave up and told the court that he would be unable to testify if the accused continued in this manner. Caesar stepped out of the witness box, and eventually left the court room upon the  instruction of the magistrate, as she tried to calm the accused.

Regan Rodrigues

Rodrigues, who was still arguing, was told by Magistrate Latchman that he needed to control himself, and allow the witness to give his testimony. Rodrigues refused to listen to the magistrate’s instructions and continued shouting, as his mother was called forward by the magistrate to help calm him down.

Eventually everyone in the courtroom, save for Magistrate Latchman, Hughes and the orderlies, were asked to leave, so as to bring order to the courtroom.

After some amount of normalcy had returned, and the magistrate was ready to resume hearing testimony, she was informed that Caesar had left the building.

The magistrate who was visibly upset, told the prosecutor that the act of his witness leaving the Magistrates’ Court was “not nice,” especially coming from an Assistant Superintendent of Police.

“Tell your witness it is not the polite thing to leave.,” Magistrate Latchman told Hughes.

Rodrigues, who started to argue again, told the court that he is innocent and questioned whether he would have to prove his innocence again.

The accused later turned to Crum-Ewing’s family who were seated in courtroom and told them to find their son’s killer.

“The killers are out there…y’all leave me alone!” Rodrigues shouted.

Magistrate Latchman, who did not tell Rodrigues when he will be returning to court, quickly departed the bench.

Those who enquired of an adjourned date for the matter were informed by the prosecutor that the matter will return to court on May 8.

The DPP reopened the case about three weeks ago, and in a statement had said that the sole purpose of reopening the case is to take further evidence from police witnesses and to rule on the voluntariness of all oral statements of the accused.

Rodrigues was charged in July, 2015, with unlawful possession of a pistol and 14 live rounds of ammunition. The gun was later reported to have been linked to the murder of Crum-Ewing and formed the basis for the murder charge. However, he was cleared of the weapon charge in January last year.

Rodrigues was sentenced to three years in prison for the crime of escaping lawful custody. This matter was appealed, and at the time of his arrest, Rodrigues was out on bail pending the appeal.

Crum-Ewing was killed on the evening of March 10, 2015 at Diamond, East Bank Demerara, as he was urging residents to vote in the May, 2015 elections.

He was shot five times, including three shots to the head.

 

 

 

 

Comments  

Charlestown shop owner shot during altercation

The police say they are investigating a shooting incident which occurred about 11:20 am today at Leopold and Breda streets, Charlestown during which shop owner, Jacqueline Lagnah, 55, of 83 Leopold and Breda streets, sustained two suspected gunshot injuries to her lower back.

Wave of looting shutters stores, spreads fear in Venezuela

CARACAS/SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela,  (Reuters) – A wave of looting by hungry mobs across Venezuela has left streets of shuttered shops in provincial towns and pushed some store owners to arm themselves with guns and machetes, stirring fear that the turmoil could spread to the capital Caracas.

NY man gets 41 years for killing Guyanese girl

Taariq Stephens (New York Daily News photo) A Brooklyn man got a 41-year maximum prison sentence yesterday for killing a 16-year-old Guyanese girl who authorities said rejected his advances.

Debutant Ngidi leads South Africa to series victory v India

PRETORIA,  (Reuters) – Debutant Lungi Ngidi took six wickets as South Africa defeated India by 135 runs to claim victory in the second test in Pretoria today and also win the series with an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match contest.

T&T judge grants injunction stopping highway project

(Trinidad Guardian) Environmental activist group Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS) has obtained an interim injunction barring the Government from continuing work on the first phase of the $400M Churchill Roosevelt Highway Extension to Manzanilla.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×