Waiting fourteen years to be appointed Justice of the Peace

Dear Editor,

On the 15th of September, 2003 under the PPP government I made an application to the Ministry of Legal Affairs to be appointed a Justice of Peace and Com-missioner of Oaths to Affidavits (JP and COA). I did the police interview twice and my application was sent to the Office of the President, but nothing happened after that.

When this new government came into office in 2015, I made an inquiry at the Ministry of the Presidency pertaining to my JP and COA application. I was advised by Tashandra Inniss in an email dated October 27, 2015 to submit a new application to the Ministry of Legal Affairs.

I submitted my application to the Ministry of Legal Affairs with references from two attorneys-at-law, Collis D Baveghems and Keavon U Bess, on November 5th, 2015.  On the 29th of February, 2016 I received a letter from the Ministry of Legal Affairs dated February 17, 2016 signed by Ms Demi Hipple asking me to go to the nearest police station for an interview and to have my fingerprints taken. I called the BV Police Station and was told to go to CID headquarters since they didn’t have any fingerprint officer at BV. I went to CID headquarters and was interviewed by CID officers who took my fingerprints and interviewed me, and sent me back with a copy of the prints to BV Police Station. There I was interviewed by Inspector Smith and CID Officer Frazer who took a two-page written statement from me.

About one month later I was called to the station to do another narcotics interview. I was informed by Inspector Smith that she had sent up my police report to CID headquarters and the Police General Office which would eventually send it to the Ministry of Legal Affairs. After a year I inquired from the Ministry of Legal Affairs about the status of my JP and COA appointment, but they said no police report had been sent to them. I called CID headquarters and they put me on to the Police General Office which in turn told me to call back BV. Then BV told me to call Cove & John Station which told me to call Sparendaam. Why all this senseless pushing around?

A police corporal from General Office told me they had found my report and were taking it to the Commissioner’s office from where it would be sent to the Ministry of Legal Affairs. I called Legal Affairs and was told it would be followed up. I completed my police interview and fingerprints on March 7th 2016 and now two years have passed with no report being sent to the Ministry of Legal Affairs. In my recent calls Legal Affairs told me my police report was still at the Commissioner’s office. When I called that office, however, they told me my police report had been sent to the Ministry of Legal Affairs months ago.

Who is telling me the truth? Is it the Ministry of Legal Affairs or is it the Guyana Police Force? I am very disappointed in the Guyana Police Force which in this day and age of technology could have easily emailed my report to the Ministry of Legal Affairs in a PDF file format in less than a week. But still today we hand-write everything. The Guyana Police Force needs to step up its game in technology and computer literacy. I note with interest our police officers hand-write everything.

From 2003 to 2017 (14 years) I am still waiting to be appointed a Justice of the Peace and Commissioner of Oaths to Affidavits. Can the Ministry of Legal Affairs follow up my police report or should I call on Commissioner (ag) David Ramnarine  to inquire as to why it was not sent over to the Ministry of Legal Affairs after nearly two years. Maybe it was sent over and misplaced. I look forward to hearing from the Guyana Police Force and the Ministry of Legal Affairs.

Yours faithfully,

Rev Gideon Cecil

Comments  

Privatization of sugar estates is the only feasible option

Dear Editor, A tragedy is unfolding in Guyana. The government has suddenly and dramatically begun the closure of GuySuCo, the largest single employer in Guyana outside of the public service.

News story that overseas nominee for Chancellor post identified is deeply troubling

Dear Editor, I write in relation to a story in yesterday’s edition of the Kaieteur News captioned ‘Overseas-based nominee for Chancellor post identified’.

It is a duty to ask tough questions of Exxon not a ‘cuss-out

Dear Editor, Minister of Foreign Affairs Carl Greenidge’s recent defence of ExxonMobil is one of the most cringeworthy statements that could be issued by a foreign minister representing a country that had one of the most formidable reputations in standing up with dignity to the big powers and multinationals.

The government should do the morally right thing by acknowledging its mistake

Dear Editor, I refer to yesterday’s article in the Stabroek News under the caption ‘Greenidge says he advised  against disclosing the bonus’ and wish to comment as follows: At the time when Mr Christopher Ram alleged that the government received a signing bonus of US$20 million from ExxonMobil, there was no indication of the purpose for which the money was paid.

Men’s lack of control over women’s sexuality is reversing the power structure in the society

Dear Editor, Whether one is male or female is not only a biological fact, it assigns one to membership of one of two social groups, known as ‘gender’.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×