No agreement on new deal as talks continue in Australia

SYDNEY, (Reuters) – Australia’s players and the country’s governing body have been involved in discussions since Friday but have yet to reach an agreement on a new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) said yesterday.

Australia’s “A” tour of South Africa has fallen victim to the drawn-out pay dispute with the squad deciding not to travel in the absence of a revised deal.

With talks between the union and the governing body deadlocked, around 230 players were left effectively unemployed when the previous five-year agreement expired at the end of last month. “The ACA confirms that agreement has not been reached for a new MoU,” the union said in a statement with its Chief Executive Alistair Nicholson, calling for urgency in negotiations with the players already unemployed for two weeks.

At the heart of the acrimonious dispute is Cricket Australia’s insistence that the two-decade-old model, under which players get a fixed percentage of revenue, should be jettisoned.

Cricket Australia believes the revenue-share model is unfit for modern times and is starving grass-roots cricket of funding, while players say it has underpinned the game’s growth and prosperity over the past 20 years. The ACA, however, welcomed the latest round of talks, believing it has boosted hopes of an imminent resolution. “The increased involvement of CA CEO James Sutherland has been pleasing,” Nicholson said. “A better understanding has been established on both parties’ positions.”

The senior Australia team is scheduled to play a two-test series in Bangladesh in August and September, before a limited-overs tour in India and then the Ashes at home against England.

 

Comments  

Ricardo Adams places Essequibo within reach of victory over G/Town

A savage unbeaten half-century from Ricardo Adams carried Essequibo to within reach of victory over Georgetown in the latest round Guyana Cricket Board/Jaguars three-day Franchise League competition at the Tuschen Sports Club Ground, East Bank Essequibo, yesterday.

By ,

Forde calls on stakeholders to put football first

Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde said Friday that the International Football Federation had decided to halt funding to the GFF following an audit investigation.

Gayle fit for crucial third ODI says Holder

BRISTOL, England, CMC — West Indies will hope the return of Chris Gayle to their line-up will trigger the spark that leads to a series-levelling victory over England in the third One-day International today.

Cleaning up image is key says Harris

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC — Regional administrators have a huge challenge to restore respect and confidence from fans and stakeholders of the game inside and outside of the Caribbean.

Rawlins off to Australia after penning new Sussex deal

LONDON,  CMC — Bermudian cricketer Delray Rawlins is heading to Australia shortly to play club cricket and develop his game after signing a new deal that will keep him at England’s Sussex County Cricket Club at least until the end of 2019.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×