Autopsy confirms poisoning as cause of hotel death

An autopsy performed on the remains of 74-year-old Michael Rajnauth, the food vendor who was found dead in a room at the K&VC Hotel on South Road, Georgetown last week revealed that he died as a result of pesticide poisoning.

Police spokesman Jairam Ramlakhan yesterday afternoon confirmed the findings with Stabroek News.

The autopsy was performed yesterday morning by Government pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh at the Georgetown Public Hospital mortuary.

Rajnauth’s remains have since been handed over to his relatives for cremation.

Stabroek News had previously reported that the discovery was made around 1.30pm last Wednesday in a room at the hotel after a staffer went to informed Rajnauth that it was time for him to check out.

After several calls to him went unanswered, a report was made at the Albertown Police Station.

When ranks arrived at the scene, they forced the door open, after which they discovered the lifeless body of the man on the bed.

At the time, this newspaper was told Rajnauth was only dressed in grey short pants. A white substance was seen around the bed and on the floor of the room. There were no visible marks of violence on the man’s body nor any signs of forced entry into the room.

Around the Web

Comments