Subryanville hotelier charged with manslaughter

-placed on $1.5m bail

Erwin Bacchus

A Subryanville hotelier, who on Saturday shot and killed his neighbour during a commotion involving several persons, was today charged with manslaughter.

Erwin Bacchus, 45, owner of the Tourist Villa Hotel, located at Lot 95 Fifth Avenue, Subryanville, Georgetown, was brought before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan, who read the indictable charge to him.

It is alleged that Bacchus, on August 4, at Subryanville, Georgetown, unlawfully killed Jason De Florimonte.

Bacchus, of 260 Fifth Avenue Subryanville, was not required to enter a plea to the indictable charge.

Police Prosecutor Vivian Adolph made no objection to bail being granted but requested that it be substantial and that conditions be applied.

The prosecutor stated that on the day in question, at about 1.30 am, De Florimonte was seen in an altercation opposite the residence of the accused. The court then heard that De Florimonte was spoken to by Terrence Newsum, a handyman employed by Bacchus, to desist, which resulted in an argument between the handyman and De Florimonte. As a result of the argument, the prosecutor stated, the now deceased man attacked the handyman with a knife and fired several `juks’. Upon seeing these actions, the accused called upon the deceased to halt, Adolph said. De Florimonte was later shot several times by the accused and was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Prosecutor Adolph stated that the post-mortem report in relation to the matter is outstanding.

Attorney Nigel Hughes, who represented the accused in association with Glenn Hanoman, told the court that his client has an excellent reputation in the Subryanville area. He noted that on the day in question, the deceased, who resided across the street from the accused, was involved in an altercation with a worker of the defendant. The attorney stated that the worker, a handyman, observed De Florimonte, beating a female, causing him to tell the now deceased man to desist. De Florimonte subsequently armed himself with a knife and attempted to stab the handyman who later ran into the defendant’s hotel where he was chased by De Florimonte, who now had a knife and a rolling pin. In the hotel, Hughes stated, the defendant, having observed what was taking place, fired two warning shots at the ground near De Florimonte who told the defendant that he didn’t care and continued chasing the handyman.

It was during the ordeal, according to Hughes, that De Florimonte attempted to stab Bacchus, who then shot him several times. Hughes requested reasonable bail for his client.

Chief Magistrate McLennan then granted the accused $1.5 million bail, with the conditions that he does not contact or cause anyone to contact the family of the deceased. Bacchus was also ordered to lodge his passport with the Clerk of Courts at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court and to report to the Kitty Police Station every Monday and Friday.

The matter was then adjourned to August 29.

Outside of the courtroom relatives of De Florimonte were inconsolable.  

The now deceased man’s wife could be heard through fits of tears shouting, “Wah ah gon tell he children now? Wah ah gon tell dem!”

Around the Web