In T&T: Police suspect hit in murder of Chinese businessman

(Trinidad Guardian) A Chinese businessman was one of two men who were murdered in separate incidents between Saturday night and yesterday morning.

According to reports, around 7.30 am, 42-year-old Qumehlanj Cao was sleeping at his home at De Graff Street, Arima, when two men jumped the wall and knocked on the front door.

His wife answered and was immediately forced inside by the intruders. The men went to a bedroom, where they shot Cao several times as he slept. They then left.

Cao, who owned Wei Mei restaurant located along Tumpuna Road in Arima, died on the scene.

Police believe that the murder was a hit based on the fact that the intruders did not attack Cao’s relatives and did not steal any items before they fled the scene.

Police officers attached to the Northern Division Task Force East look on as a crime scene investigator searches for evidence at the home of Chinese businessman Qumehlanj Cao on De Graff Street, Arima yesterday.

When a news team from the T&T Guardian visited the community yesterday, homicide detectives were seen interviewing the businessman’s relatives outside the house, as crime scene investigators inspected inside.

Several residents of the residential community said they were not in shock over the incident.

“This is Trinidad. Things can happen anywhere. Last week, they steal a policeman’s car over on the next street,” one elderly resident said.

He described the family, who have lived in the community for a little over three years, as quiet and peaceful.

“They does just keep to themselves. We see the three children playing by the park sometimes but they don’t really talk to anyone,” he said.

The second murder occurred hours earlier in Chaguanas.

Police said around 9 pm, Joel Shah was liming with relatives along Gaston Street, Chaguanas, when they were approached by two gunmen who began firing without warning. They then ran away.

Shah, who police believe was the target, and a male relative, were wounded while the others escaped.

Shah was pronounced dead on the scene by a District Medical Officer (DMO) while his relative was taken to hospital for treatment. He remained warded up to late yesterday.

The murders raised the murder toll for the year to 201 up to late yesterday..

Investigations are continuing.

 

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×