GCC in sight of first innings points

Noble House Seafood two-day cricket tourney

Bernard Bailey rocked the Police batting order with 6-36. (Romario Samaroo photo)

Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) were spurred to a controlling position against Police Sports Club on the back of a six-wicket haul from Bernard Bailey on day one of the Georgetown Cricket Association/Noble House Seafood two-day second division final at the GCC ground yesterday.

GCC’s skipper Khemraj Jaikaran won the toss and elected to field first in the match which was delayed due to issues on the pitch. Nevertheless, when the action got underway, Police were restricted to 107 all out in 47.5 overs with GCC closing the day on 80-3 after 36 overs, 28 runs short of a first innings lead.

Police were rocked early on with Ronaldo Ali-Mohammed drawing Reginald Rodrigues to play into the hands of a diving Timothy McAlmont at gully.

Deonarine Seegobin top scored with 42 to put GCC in control. (Romario Samaroo photo)

Ali-Mohammed struck in his next over after Kemol Savory slashed square off the wicket and into the hands of 14-year-old Zachary Jodah for an 11-ball duck with Police at 4-2. After a little revival, Andrew Lyght Jr was the next to go, having made 10, inclusive of two boundaries off of Ali-Mohammed.

Paul Tyndall held the middle but was caught at point for 23 from 42 balls to leave Police in a spot of bother, with the score moving to 50-4.

When spin was introduced, McAlmont struck twice in one over with Jodah taking another superb mid-air catch to remove Pernell London. McAlmont followed up by bowling Police skipper Keston Harcourt for a second ball duck.

Trevor Benn and Jason Heyliger carried on to produce a solid partnership against the surging GCC with Benn getting a life after being dropped at silly point on 17. However, that didn’t prove costly as Benn was given leg before wicket to Bailey for 17 from 37 balls and lasting 42 minutes at the crease.

Bailey’s next delivery accounted for Eon Rodrigues, given leg before wicket, indicating to the umpire that he was hit on his thigh. Police found themselves in a fray having gone to lunch 88-8 with Heyliger the steady batsman.

Vishal Jaigobin was given a life just after lunch but the Police innings were wrapped up just 20 minutes after lunch with Heyliger departing for 32 after facing 104 balls – hitting three boundaries along the way – to hand Bailey his first five-wicket haul in the tournament as he was caught at gully.

He quickly wrapped up the final wicket to finish on 6-36, his best at this level. He was supported by McAlmont with 2-22 and Ali-Mohammed with 2-30.

Meanwhile, GCC found themselves in a strong position after losing Jaikaran early in the innings as Deonarine Seegobin steadied the chase in sight of first innings points.

The left-handed batsman partnered with Andsuegga Rodrigues to put on 50 for the second wicket, running well between the wickets and picking up the odd boundaries.

However, the partnership was broken as Rodrigues played into the shot early, only getting a leading edge into the hands of off spinner Heyliger for 16 after batting for almost an hour.

Deonarine was joined by Ali-Mohammed and the pair added 21 until Deonarine was run out attempting a single with Savory doing some sharp work behind the stumps. He made 42 from 110 balls, hitting three boundaries in the process.

Meanwhile, Police clawed back into the contest to leave GCC 27 runs short of their first innings total with Ali-Mohammed and McAlmont on 16 and two at the crease. Play resumes today at 10:15 hrs.

Around the Web