(Trinidad Guardian) Some 14 students of the San Fernando ASJA Girls’ High School were taken to hospital after they fell ill following the school’s annual fund-raising barbecue on Friday.
Guardian Media understands that the school’s parent association, the Parent Enhancement Association (PEA), held their annual event yesterday where an estimated 800 tickets were sold. The students became ill after eating the meal.
School officials told Guardian Media both the Emergency Health Services (EHS) and parents of the students were immediately contacted as a precaution and the ailing students were taken to the San Fernando General Hospital for treatment.
Ministry of Education officials told Guardian Media that they were aware of the situation and that the school followed proper protocol.
The official said that while the students were taken to the hospital, none were admitted. They said the students were cleared of any poisoning by doctors, however, two were kept for observation and received intravenous liquids for any dehydration brought about by their symptoms as a precautionary measure.
The official said this again, was keeping within protocol.
One parent said her daughters consumed the same food and did not experience any symptoms. She said the situation was being blown out of proportion and commended the school’s principal and teachers for their swift action in dealing with the matter.