Fire destroys Festival City house

A fire tore through a house in Festival City early yesterday morning leaving its three occupants without a home.
The fire reportedly originated in a bedroom on the bottom flat of the two-storey house. Eyewitnesses say that it quickly spread from the wooden bottom flat where the family of three resided to the unoccupied top wooden flat, which was eventually destroyed.

Twenty-four-year-old Alicia Bernard, who stayed in the bottom flat with her child’s father, Randy Gentle, 24, and her son, was at home with her son when the fire started. The woman explained that she was sitting on her front steps with her son at around 9:15am when she noticed smoke rising from the back of the house.

Bernard said that as she entered her front door she was greeted by a large burst of flames coming from her bedroom. At this point she quickly vacated the premises with her young son. Within minutes the entire house was engulfed in flames.

The woman speculated that the blaze had started on a mattress in her bottom flat apartment, but was unsure what ignited it since she said nothing had been left burning. Bernard was adamant that no candles, lamps or mosquito coils were left burning in the room. She also said that the residence was at the time not receiving any electricity.

The house ablaze
The house ablaze

Residents say that Bernard fainted while lamenting her house being on fire. The woman was  taken to the hospital and later brought back to what used to be her home. By the time she had returned to the place she had called home for some time it was no more.

One resident said that efforts to form a bucket brigade to engage the fire were rendered futile as the heat emanating from the blaze made getting close impossible. Another resident, who reportedly called the fire service, said that the call was made almost immediately after the fire was spotted (9:15am), and that the Fire Service arrived at the scene at around 9:25am.

By this time,  most of the building’s wooden parts had been completed gutted.
The woman said that most, if not all of  her possessions, including important documents and clothing had been destroyed in the fire.

Bernard said that all of the clothes she had accumulated for her unborn child had been destroyed. She said that the only things that were not destroyed were her son’s games clothes which were on a line drying. She is currently staying with her sister, who resides just next door to the destroyed building, until she is once again able to stand on her own.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: