A fire believed to be electrical in origin has left a family of four homeless after it reduced their Lot 93 Independence Street, La Grange, West Bank Demerara home to ashes yesterday.
The fire, which started around 5 pm, has now left Bisham Singh and her three children with only the clothes they are wearing. Neighbours recalled seeing thick smoke coming from the building but before they could contain the fire it had already engulfed the entire house. The family has estimated their damage as close to $1 million.
Singh was too distraught to speak when Stabroek News visited the scene but she managed to say that nobody was at home when the fire started and that nothing was saved from her house. She also added that her Guyana Power and Light (GPL) meter had been switching on and off on its own but she never reported it to the power company.
Her brother, Sarwan Singh, told this newspaper that he was working not too far from where his sister lived when someone informed him that her house was on fire. He said that he rushed to the scene and managed to kick open the door.
The man stated that when he entered the building he saw the fire coming from the living room but before he could have proceeded further, thick smoke engulfed. Singh also stated that neighbours who witnessed the incident responded and attempts were made to contain the fire but the smoke was too much.
The neighbours also stated that by the time the Guyana Fire Service responded to the scene the house was completely burned. Singh’s brother also stated that she will be staying with him until she decides her next move.