Nigel Rodney dispirited over lack of info on wife’s maternal death probe

After waiting for more than six months, the husband of maternal death victim Luann Rodney says he has lost hope that the Ministry of Health or the Georgetown Public Hospi-tal will contact him to give an update on the outcome of his wife’s case.

“Up to this day no one has told me anything else. No one has called to say we did this or that investigation and this or that is what we found. Look I just don’t know if they will say anything or they just left me so,” Nigel Rodney told Stabroek News.

In June last year, Luann Rodney, 28, and her baby died during delivery at the Georgetown Public Hospi-tal (GPH).

Doctors had expressed dissatisfaction with the way the woman was treated and had opined that it was a death that

Nigel and Luann
Nigel and Luann

could have been easily avoided. Concerns were raised as to the use of the pill Cytotec. The pill was inserted into Luann Rodney to induce labour as she was long past her due date. She was due to deliver by May 22 and the pill was inserted on the night of June 3.

An autopsy revealed that the woman’s uterus had ruptured, causing her to bleed profusely and die from haemorrhagic shock.

Minister of Health Dr Bheri Ramsaran had told Stabroek News on June 19 last year that a report into the young woman’s death was complete and that the obstetrician who was on duty at the time has been sent on administrative leave pending a decision by Chief Medical Officer Dr Shamdeo Persaud. The decision to send the doctor on leave was made by GPH officials.

On the recommendation of the expert committee that conducted investigations into Luann Rodney’s death, a decision was made to send the obstetrician and two nurses who were on duty at the time for remedial classes in their respective fields with the aim of further educating them.

However Stabroek News has learned that the obstetrician and the two nurses, while not seen carrying out duties, had reported for work last week.

Rodney’s husband said that while he was aware via news reports that his wife’s file was sent to the expert committee for investigation, the  MOH and GPH have not communicated with him since last August.

He explained that it was around mid August last that he had last spoken to any official as he had visited the GPHC then to seek an update but none was given. “Last August I went on my own you know to check up and see what these people doing. I spoke to this woman Mitzy Campbell (GPH’s Public Relations Officer) and nothing de change. I left there feeling so down that I didn’t bother to go back because I feel I wasted my time,” he said.

“It seemed to me that I am the only one that was pushing trying to get to the bottom of this and no one else cared. I feel hurt you know that no call nothing at all to say ‘Well this is what happening,’’’ the woman’s husband said.

He informed that since his wife’s death his life has changed significantly as he has had to make major adjustments to his work and daily schedule. This is because with Luann gone he has to care for their young daughter.

“I weed and it hard because nuff days I can’t go out early to start because I have to take care of my daughter; ensure that she is ready for school and everything at home in order before I leave,” he said.

“By the time I get out to start work half the day done and the sun stand up hot, hot. I get a set a work back up right now but I have my daughter and she comes first,” he added.

Further, he informed that his family assists him with the caring of his daughter since as a man not accustomed to doing same he sometimes bungles the job. “My sister would plait my daughter hair on the weekend to give me an ease because when I plait it, it ain’t no plait to talk about. The hair is deh all over the place and I is feel shame to send the girl anywhere with them plaits sticking out so,” he said.

He pointed out that while he has accepted the fact that his wife won’t be returning he would derive some comfort hearing that “something man, anything” positive comes out of her death. “Well she dead already but you mean they can’t say something come out of it? Will this be just another death and nobody cares?” he questioned.

 

More in Local News

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

default placeholder

New candidate identified to head Bid Protest Committee

Attorney at Law Joann Bond will now head the recently-constituted Bid Protest Committee (BPC) established under the Procurement Act, well-placed sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: