Jury empanelled for retrial of man accused of wife’s murder

The retrial of Charles Anthony Woolford for the murder of his wife began yesterday in the High Court with the empanelling of a 12-member jury.

Woolford’s retrial was ordered by Justice James Bovell-Drakes after a jury failed to agree on a verdict in August 9, 2013.

Woolford pleaded not guilty yesterday in the presence of Justice Navindra Singh, who is presiding over the retrial. He is accused of murdering his beautician wife Latoya Conway Woolford on February 8, 2009, at their home in Humming Bird Street, Festival City, North Ruimveldt.

Latoya Conway Woolford, 29, had succumbed to a single stab wound just above her belly button

Charles Woolford
Charles Woolford
Latoya Conway Woolford
Latoya Conway Woolford

at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation. Reports are that Charles and Latoya had an argument after which he allegedly stabbed her and left the house.

Charles was subsequently rushed to the city hospital after ingesting a poisonous substance.

Woolford is being represented by Peter Hugh in association with Latchmie Rahamat, while Dionne McCammon is presenting the state’s case.

The next court date for the trial is March 3.

Latest in Local News

Joel Ganesh

Crane man hacks wife, toddler to death

-leaves mom critical after severing hand A Crane, West Coast Demerara man early yesterday morning butchered his wife and two-year-old-son and critically wounded his mother during a rampage that was eventually brought to an end when he was shot by the police.

An excerpt of the letter released by former president Donald Ramotar

Ramotar releases letter showing Tiwarie backing for PPP up to month before polls

Former President Donald Ramotar yesterday released a letter written by prominent businessman Brian Tiwarie pledging his support to the PPP a month before the May, 2015 general elections that ended the party’s 23-year reign.

default placeholder

Minister blames negligence for improper disposal of foetus at Diamond Hospital

Following recent reports of a foetus being mutilated at the Diamond Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has attributed the incident to negligence and stated that the responsible party will likely be sanctioned.

default placeholder

Sweeping insurance bill passes, central bank powers boosted

Using its one-seat majority, the government early Friday morning passed the sweeping Insurance Bill 2016 which fortifies a regulatory role for the Bank of Guyana and seeks to prevent a CLICO-type meltdown in the sector here.

Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson yesterday inspecting works done so far on Carifesta Avenue, where the flags and courts of arms of the Caricom member states have been mounted ahead of next week’s Heads of Government summit. Inset are the flag and coat of arms of Haiti. See story on page 2. (Photo by Keno George)

Carifesta Ave, Ogle Airport road to be ready for Caricom summit

The preliminary upgrade and rehabilitation of Carifesta Avenue and the Ogle Airport Road, respectively, are almost complete and these thoroughfares will be ready for use from today Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson has said.

default placeholder

Pre-elections VAT reduction promise was ‘imprudent’

President David Granger has called the elections promise by the APNU+AFC to reduce Value Added Tax (VAT) within its first 100 days in office “imprudent.” Asked on this week’s “The Public Interest” programme if his coalition’s promise of a reduction in VAT was no more than an election gimmick, Granger said that while it is still possible that VAT will be reduced, it has not happened yet because the money is not there.

default placeholder

No non-essential travel by ministers – Granger

President David Granger is not convinced that his ministers have been embarking on non-essential travel. In fact, he maintains that his Cabinet ensures that all travel done by ministers is in the “national interest.” The president was asked this week on the televised programme, “The Public Interest,” whether he believed ministers of government were engaging in non-essential travel and if this matter had been discussed.

A frontal view of the building, as seen on Thursday.

Workers gets safety gear after electrocution at Robb St building site

The remaining workers at a Robb Street building site, where a workman was electrocuted nearly three weeks ago, have since been equipped with safety gear and measures have been taken to cover up the wires in front of the building.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: