Elderly North Ruimveldt woman was strangled – post-mortem

Relatives of 75-year-old Joyce Lewis who was found dead in her North Ruimveldt home on Wednesday say a post-mortem report stated that she was strangled.

Lewis is believed to have been strangled during an early morning robbery. Her body was discovered by police and her sister, Veronica Deen around 8:30 am that day. The intruders, apparently, had pried their way into the two-storey home sometime between 12:00am – 6:00am. They had gained

Joyce Lewis
Joyce Lewis

entry through a window near the veranda of the house after an attempt to clip a window grill barring entry into the lower flat of her home failed.

Police are yet to implicate anyone in her killing.

Recently, residents of the area stated that the number of robberies in North Ruimveldt has risen.

Sources close to the investigation said Lewis’ body was found sprawled on a bed with her underwear pulled to her ankles, while highlighting that there were dark marks around her neck.

Shane Willis, Lewis’ cousin said he received a call from another cousin, informing him to check on her house because she was not answering her phone. “When I reached I see her sister (Deen) and she went hollering,” he said, recalling Deen telling him to jump the fence because she said “them kill her”.

Willis stated that when he jumped the fence he saw a knife wrapped up in a cloth and a bunch of keys on the ground. “And she keep hollering that them kill her, them kill her,” he said, adding that he jumped onto his bicycle and went home and collected his mother.

Her killing left relatives in shock and despair. Her children and siblings are expected to fly into the country early next week.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Increased venues, franchises in pipeline as CPL seeks expansion

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad,  CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers say they will explore pushing the increasingly popular Twenty20 tournament into Asia, as well as expanding the number of franchises involved and hosting them in North American cities.

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: