Cane Grove road revetment project about 40% complete – Ministry

The revetment project at Cane Grove main access road, Mahaica, Region Four is progressing smoothly with the contractor completing around 40 percent of the task so far, according to the Ministry of Public Works.

In a release yesterday, Khiraj Bisesar, Project Engineer, said the revetments are crucial to this agricultural hub.

“Heavy traffic and canals that are on either side of the carriageway have resulted in the saturation of the sub-base of the road thereby causing continuous slippage of the carriageway,” Bisesar explained  after he accompanied Minister of Public Works Robeson Benn on Saturday for a site visit.

The revetment works (Ministry of Public Works)
The revetment works (Ministry of Public Works)

He said that Benn was pleased with the progress so far. This road provides the only access to and from Cane Grove.

The release said that the contractor H. Nauth and Sons are “driving piles to accommodate the revetment that will follow along with 1 inch diameter steel rod as tie back to anchor piles which will gave more stability to the revetment works.”

The $160M project was signed on December 20, 2013 and is expected to be finished in August, the release added. There is a defects liability period of six months.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  2. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  3. Ameer Abdool Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  4. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  5. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  6. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  7. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  8. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  9. Cops grilling taxi driver after passenger robbed of $6M on seawall

Recommended For You