File on shooting of teen with police complaints body

Chairman of the Police Com-plaints Authority (PCA), retired Justice Cecil Kennard yesterday said that he is in receipt of the file on 15 year old Alex Griffith who was shot by a policeman on April 30.

On Tuesday, the police by way of a statement announced that the Police Office of Professional Responsibility had completed its investigation.

Contacted yesterday, Kennard said that he hasn’t had a chance to peruse the file as he is hoping to complete another file first. “After having concluded the (Colwyn) Harding matter I will then look at the file,” he said.

He also said that “at the end of the day if I recommend disciplinary charges, the file will then go to the DPP.”

Griffith has identified a cadet officer as the person responsible for the shooting and picked him out during an identification parade at the Brickdam Police Station last week.

Griffith had recounted to Stabroek News how the cadet officer played Russian roulette with him while grilling him about the identities of suspects in a robbery. The boy had been detained by the officer and others after they found him at his East La Penitence squatting area home, where they turned up with questions about a robbery in which a relative of the cadet officer had been the victim.

Alex Griffith
Alex Griffith

The boy explained that he had been at a friend’s home when a robbery occurred outside.

Though he had been unable to see what had transpired, he said, two van-loads of policemen later went to his home to question him about the identities of the robbers.

He had relayed to the ranks that he was unaware of the robbers’ identities but he was nevertheless taken from his home, without his mother’s consent, and driven around the area.

The police eventually took him in front of the home of one of the suspected robbers in the East La Penitence area. However, the person was not at home.

Griffith said the accused robber’s absence apparently infuriated the cadet officer, who forced him from the police vehicle and ordered him to lie on the ground. The cadet officer, Griffith said, removed all of the bullets from a gun but subsequently replaced one. He then put the gun into the 15-year-old’s mouth.

The cadet officer, he said, continued to press him for the robbers’ identities. After not receiving an answer, the cadet officer pulled the trigger but nothing happened. Once again, he asked for the identities of the bandits and, when told by Griffith once again that he did not know, he fired a second time. This time, Griffith said, the gun went off.

He said he began to bleed badly from the mouth and one of the accompanying ranks said, “this guy bleeding bad; leh we tek him to the hospital.” He was dropped off at the hospital by the ranks who left shortly afterwards.

Last week, Crime Chief Leslie James had said that investigators were ensuring that there was a thorough investigation. He had acknowledged that “many have expressed concerns about the amount of time that the police are taking to investigate the shooting” but stressed that conducting a thorough investigation was the main aim of the force and that it made no sense to rush and charge someone only for errors to surface when the case goes before the courts.


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.