Question on Jagdeo post-presidency expenses to come up again

A question on the post-presidency expenses of former President Bharrat Jagdeo is due to come up again for answer at Thursday’s sitting of the National Assembly.

The question has been posed by APNU MP Desmond Trotman and is to be answered by Minister of Finance Dr Ashni Singh.

The question had appeared on a previous order paper but was inexplicably not answered even though another question on the cost of President Donald Ramotar’s overseas trips was answered.

Trotman had pledged to ensure that the question was answered, Trotman is seeking to find out what is the electricity charge paid under the controversial 2009 Former Presidents (Benefits and Other Facilities) Act for Jagdeo since he left office in 2011 and up to February 28th, 2014.

He is also seeking to determine the total health expenses/claims met under the act for former Jagdeo and/or his dependents between the period that he left office and up to February 28th, 2014. In February this year, Jagdeo had to be flown to the US for medical treatment on a specially chartered flight. It was unclear who paid for that flight but observers had said that local taxpayers should not have to foot the bill if the treatment was available locally. Neither Jagdeo nor the government released any information on this.

Trotman also wants to know the cost of providing transportation, both local and overseas, inclusive of cars and drivers and including air and road costs for Jagdeo and/or his dependents in the aforementioned period.

Finally, Trotman is seeking to learn the cost of providing security to Jagdeo and for his properties for the same period.

The Former Presidents (Benefits and Other Facilities) Act has been highly controversial as critics say it contains benefits for Jagdeo and other former Presidents which are extravagant and cannot be afforded by the country. An acrimonious battle on this bill in Parliament ended with the opposition forcing through a bill to cap the benefits. The bill was passed on January 25th, 2013 but President Donald Ramotar has refused to sign it.

 

More in Local News

default placeholder

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

default placeholder

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

default placeholder

New candidate identified to head Bid Protest Committee

Attorney at Law Joann Bond will now head the recently-constituted Bid Protest Committee (BPC) established under the Procurement Act, well-placed sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: