August start date for city clean-up – Whittaker

The $500 million city clean-up project will commence early August and the involvement of communities is being sought, acting Local Government Minister Norman Whittaker said last Friday.

At a news conference, Whittaker announced that 16 bids were received for the de-silting of the major canals, including those at Lamaha, Sussex, Irving, Church, Young and Princes streets.

He noted that the bids received are being assessed and that an award will be given within two weeks.

He also said 11 bids were received for both, the de-silting of drains and rehabilitation of internal roads within the Le Repentir Cemetery.

The minister noted that prisoners will assist during the clean-up, by de-bushing the cemetery. He further mentioned that the ministry has had discussions with the chairman of the beekeepers association about the honeybee hives located in the cemetery. “The view was expressed that this can pose a danger, not only to the workers,” he explained, “but to persons traversing the area.”

He said the association has determined that the body will prepare and submit a proposal to guide the ministry on how the hives will be dealt with. He added that the bids for work on the cemetery are also under evaluation and will be awarded “shortly” in order for works to begin during the early parts of August.

Meanwhile, Whittaker stated that the ministry wants to work with community groups, community-based organisations and faith-based organizations, with respect to the community aspect of the clean-up project. “We want this to be an activity that has the support and involvement of the very beneficiaries,” he said, explaining that residents will be remunerated for the labour that they provide.

Whittaker noted that so far the ministry has had consultations in Camp- bellville, Albouystown, Kitty, Agricola and Cummings Lodge and further consultations will be held in the East and West Ruimveldt areas. He said the planning and implementation committee for the Guyana Clean-up Project met last Wednesday and came up with another schedule of consultations that will see the ministry covering many more communities. “In fact every zone in Georgetown will be covered,” he said, “because we want to ensure that every community is given an opportunity to come on board with this project from day one… And not to limit their benefit only to the improved aesthetic of the environment, but where they can earn some money.”

The city council, which, he said, has to play an integral role in the sustainability, has been asked by the ministry to provide information with respect to the status of its machines. He said based on need, priority, and available funding, the ministry will determine what will be fixed. According to Whittaker, the ministry will be fixing compactors and machines used for de-silting drains, among other equipment, so as to put them in a better position to deliver the kind of service expected in terms of maintaining the infrastructure. He said it is the ministry’s expectation that city council will assist in terms of sustaining the project.

Furthermore, Whittaker said the ministry is engaging the private sector in order to get it to take responsibility, such as by adopting specific streets or zones.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Alzarri Joseph called up for Test duty

ST.JOHN’s, Antigua, CMC-Promising Antiguan fast bowler Alzarri Joseph is set to make his Test debut after he was drafted into the West Indies side for the current home series against India.

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: