Tiger Bay teen jailed for 50 months over armed robbery

A Tiger Bay teenager who admitted to holding a couple at knife-point at the Promenade Gardens and robbing them of almost $300,000 in cash, jewellery and smartphones, was sentenced to 50 months imprisonment yesterday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

Dwayne Christopher, 17, of Lot 12 A Rosemary Lane, who initially pleaded not guilty when he was arraigned on May 12, later accepted that on May 1, at Middle Street he and another person, both armed with knives, pounced on Nicquan Nester and Kerlyn Hyman.

According to the police’s case, Christopher stole a gold band valued $80,000, a gold ring valued $70,000, a $60,000

 Dwayne Christopher
Dwayne Christopher

BlackBerry smartphone and $5,000, all the property of Nester.

According to Police Prosecutor Joel Ricknauth, the bandits then turned to Hyman and stole her $50,000 BlackBerry, $4,500 purse, a gold chain valued at $16,000 and $7,000.

On June 17, Christopher pleaded guilty to the two counts of armed robbery and the case was adjourned until an ordered probation report was submitted to the court.

 

Yesterday the probation report stated that persons in Christopher’s neighbourhood opined that he was not a bad person.

Christopher before his sentencing asked Magis-trate Judy Latchman for “another chance,” in spite of breaking a two-year bond, he had been placed on over a similar offence.

However, the Magis-trate ruled that the teenager be imprisoned for 50 months on each count. However the sentences are to be served concurrently.

 

 

More in Local News

default placeholder

Driver in accident with St Lucian cubs jailed for 10 months

The police today said that the driver of the motor vehicle who was involved in an accident with two St Lucian cub scouts has been jailed for 10 months.

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: