Businessman Paul Daby was yesterday charged with illegal possession of fireworks and granted $25,000 bail.
Daby pleaded not guilty to the charge of having explosive devices in his possession without a permit, when he was arraigned at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court. The charge came after a display of fireworks outside of Buddy’s night club, Sheriff Street on Sunday morning. Daby’s 50th birthday was being celebrated at the time.
Acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry read the charge to Daby; it is alleged that on December 20, Daby had in his possession explosive devices without previously obtaining a permit under regulation 21 of the Explosive Sale Purchase and Possession Regulation.
Attorney Mark Waldron, who represented Daby, told the court that the matter is similar in nature to that of the group of 13 persons who were charged on Monday for causing public terror and possession of explosive devices. These charges too stemmed from the fireworks display outside the nightclub.
He then made an application for reasonable bail to be granted to Daby.
Police Prosecutor Stephen Telford said that on Sunday, acting on information received, police went to the Lot 127 D’Aguiar Park, Houston, East Bank Demerara home of Daby. Police told him about the allegation; he denied it and was then asked to accompany officers to the Brickdam Police Station for further questioning. Daby was then shown the items in question which were in the trunk of a car. He was later released on station bail yesterday and subsequently charged with the stated offence.
The prosecution, Telford said, had no objection to bail being granted to Daby but asked that it be of a substantial sum.
Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry subsequently granted the man bail in the sum of $25,000.
The matter was transferred to Court Three and continues on January 7, 2010.