Oosthuizen reigns as wind batters St. Andrews

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland, (Reuters) – St. Andrews bared  its teeth on Friday as brutal winds scattered the British Open  field, leaving early starter Louis Oosthuizen to emerge from the  wreckage with an astonishing five-shot lead.

Oosthuizen’s second-round 67, which took him to 12 under  132, looked a testing target when the 27-year-old South African  finished at lunchtime but Mother Nature whipped up a gale which  halted play for an hour and left his lead looking more  impregnable with every 40mph gust.

Tiger Woods, who went within inches of a showstopping hole-  in-one at the 18th, clung on at four under, Rory McIlroy  collapsed from a record 63 to an 80 and St. Andrews bade farewell  to one of its favourite sons as Tom Watson missed the cut.

When the hooter sounded at 21:45 local time, 10 groups were  yet to complete their rounds and must resume at 06:30 on Saturday  with the projected cut at two over.

Oosthuizen, who missed the cut in all three previous Opens  he contested and has one European Tour win to his name, was  expected to be swallowed up by the field on Friday but he was  having none of it.

With the day’s best weather and an elegant swing to match,  Oosthuizen fired seven birdies and two bogeys and is poised to  take the biggest halfway lead at the Open since American Bobby  Clampett in 1982.

“I’m very confident the way I’m playing,” said Oosthuizen,  nicknamed Shrek by his friends. “I’m okay with anyone waking up  and seeing my name on the top.”


He led by five from 1989 champion Mark Calcavecchia (67),  who struck the first tee shot of the day in what turned out to  be the best conditions, and by six from three Englishmen — Paul  Casey, Lee Westwood and Steve Tiley, who has eight holes left.

“I’m hitting it well,” Oosthuizen told reporters. “I’m just  having a lot of fun.”

Fun it certainly was not for McIlroy.

On Thursday, after setting the Old Course alight with a  record 63, he said he did not mind what the weather was like yesterday as long as it was dry.

Well, it was dry alright but unsettling wind soon brought  the 21-year-old Northern Irishman back to earth. He fired nine  birdies on Thursday and the course took all but one of them back  yesterday, his birdie-free round of 80 leaving him on one under.

“It was a lot of ups and downs, more downs than ups today,”  he said.

Woods had barely started his round when Royal and Ancient  officials deemed enough was enough and sounded the hooter to  prompt a 65-minute suspension of play because of the high winds  buffeting the famed Fife links.

The break found Woods in playful mood, sharing smoked  almonds with his playing partners, but the interruption did his  game little good.

He opened bogey-bogey and gritted his teeth through the  remainder of a tough round, firing a one-over 73 which he  described as his best of the year.

“I’m eight back and today was a day I could have easily shot  myself out of the tournament, especially the start I got off to,  but I put it back together again and pieced together a pretty  good round,” said the world number one.


Just as Woods was preparing for an eagle putt after his  astonishing drive at the 18th, emotional scenes were developing  back at the tee. Watson, in his last Open at St Andrews and certain to miss  the cut, kissed the Swilcan Bridge and mouthed: “I love you” to  the crowd as he bid farewell, his face illuminated by the myriad  of camera flashes in the fading Scottish dusk.

After Woods putted out for birdie, Watson was greeted by  thunderous applause as fans lined the 18th fairway.

The 60-year-old American did not disappoint. With a flick of  the wrists he sent his second to within an inch of the cup for a  certain birdie.

Watson holed out before shaking every official’s hand,  offering a few quiet words of advice to playing partner Ryo  Ishikawa and retiring to the scorer’s hut one final time here.

“I thought of Arnold (Palmer) on the bridge, I thought of  Jack (Nicklaus) on the bridge, and their last Opens were both  right here at St Andrews. My last Open is not right here, the  good Lord willing,” said Watson.

When Casey and Westwood trudged off the course during the  soggy early conditions, they could little have expected they  would end the day in a share for third place.

“I played a lot better than my score suggests,” said  Westwood, who fired 17 pars and a solitary birdie at the fifth.

Casey struck a superlative outward five under 31 and looked  set to run Oosthuizen close until calamity struck at the revered  17th ‘Road’ hole.

His tee shot found the left-hand rough and he needed two  slashes to get it clear of the thick gorse. He went on to  triple-bogey but a birdie at the last salvaged his day.

“I wanted to go straight sideways but couldn’t go at it too  hard because if I went at it too hard and it came out, I could  end up in Room 312 (of the Old Course Hotel),” said Casey.

A cluster of seven players were in the clubhouse on five  under including 1996 winner Tom Lehman, U.S. Open champion  Graeme McDowell and Spain’s Miguel Angel Jimenez.

Around the Web