Man accused of $12.8M fraud against state, threatening witness

A man accused of obtaining $12.8M belonging to the State of Guyana via false pretence was yesterday admitted to bail in the sum of $1.3M when he appeared before acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

Additionally, the accused was charged with two counts of threatening language in which he is accused of threatening to kill a witness for the prosecution stemming from the obtaining by false pretence charges.

The allegation against Nigel Adams is that between December 9, 2009 and January 14, 2011 at Georgetown, he conspired with person or persons unknown to commit a felony, to wit obtaining money by false pretence.

The particulars of the three counts of the indictable charges allege that Adams obtained the sums of $2.7M, $6.2M and $3.9M by virtue of a Bank of Guyana cheque from the Accountant General’s Department, Ministry of Finance, property of the State of Guyana.

Meanwhile, the other two charges allege that on April 16 and 17 at Sophia, Adams made use of threatening language to Shamshan Mohamed.

Adams, a driver of 21 Ogle, East Coast Demerara was not required to plead to the indictable charges of obtaining by false pretence when they were read to him. He however denied the threatening language charges.

When asked by the magistrate if the facts were as charged in the false pretence charges, the prosecution responded in the affirmative after which no further details of what transpired were given.

In presenting the facts for the summary charges, however, police prosecutor Stephen Telford told the court that the defendant, having been implicated in the false pretence charges, went to the home of the prosecution witness on April 16 and 17 and told her that he will “kill her and her family.”

Being afraid for her life, Telford said that the virtual complainant reported the matter to the police and subsequently the defendant was arrested and charged.

The prosecution had no objection to the defendant being admitted to bail but requested that it be set at  a substantial sum to ensure he returns to court.

Telford indicated also that other charges are likely to be brought against Adams.

After listening to the case, the acting chief magistrate informed the defendant that he will be admitted to bail in the sum of $400,000 for each of the three false pretence charges and $50,000 for each of the threatening language charges.

Adams was ordered to return to court on July 12 for reports.

Around the Web