Duo put on $80,000 bail each for allegedly snatching handbag

Two men who allegedly robbed a woman of items which amounted to $15,000 in value were  yesterday placed on $80,000 bail each after they appeared before acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

The allegation is that on September 12, Anthony Hooper and Oneil Semple robbed the Virtual Com-plainant Eugene Williams of one handbag valued $5,000 and $10,000 in Guyana currency.

The 23-year-old Hooper of Lot 32 Cummings Lodge, Georgetown, and the 25-year-old Semple who resides at Cummings Park, Sophia, both pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to them.

In presenting the facts to the court Prosecutor Lionel Harvey said that on the day in question the VC was riding her motorcycle when she observed the two defendants on another cycle. He said that the VC subsequently stopped and allowed the defendants to pass her. However the men came alongside the woman and snatched the handbag and rode way. She then attempted to give chase and while doing so one of the defendants pushed her off her bike. She added that the matter was reported and based on investigations other charges will be laid against the two accused.

Attorney Adrian Thompson who defended the two men asked that his clients be placed on reasonable bail since there was no evidence against them. He stressed to the court that the two accused were picked up since Thursday night and he raised concerns that the defendants were kept so long in prison before being brought to court to address a matter about which they have no knowledge. The attorney added that on the day of the incident the two accused were riding a bike when they were pulled over and taken to the Brickdam Police Station. He also noted that an identification parade was never carried out and  his clients have never seen the VC before and so they have no knowledge of the incident.

After listening to the concerns raised by the attorney the magistrate ordered the prosecution to carry out an investigation to determine why  the men were kept in custody for more than 72 hours and why they were not brought to court before.

The two accused were placed on $80,000 bail each and the matter was adjourned until October 19.

Around the Web