Paralysed T&T man chopped to death

(Trinidad Express) A 31-year-old San Juan man, who is paralysed from the waist down, was chopped to death at his home on Thursday after he reportedly arranged to have a fellow resident beaten and robbed as he attempted to purchase drugs from him.

Jason Monroe, of MI Trace, El Socorro, died around 8pm on Thursday at the Port of Spain General Hospital after he was chopped multiple times about the body while at his home earlier in the day.

Monroe was accused of putting the fellow resident in place to be beaten and robbed by other men when he came to Monroe’s home to purchase marijuana, police said.

Officers said after the man was beaten and robbed of an undisclosed sum of cash, he made a report at the Barataria Police Station but before officers could have been despatched to probe the incident, the man returned to Monroe’s home and dealt him several chops about the head and body.

Officers said Monroe was well-known to be involved in the sale of illegal narcotics at his home. Up to late last evening, police were searching for the suspect who is known to them in connection with the incident.

Investigations by officers of the Region II Homicide Bureau of Investigations and the Barataria CID are continuing.

Monroe, who became paralysed from the waist down after he was shot during an incident several years ago with police officers, had complained to the Express last December that he had been a victim of several robberies and accused officers at the Barataria Police Station of not taking his reports seriously.

Around the Web

Comments