APNU wasn’t privy to fees set for Linden inquiry commissioners – Harmon

Member of Parliament for main opposition A Partner-ship for National Unity Joseph Harmon said that the negotiating parties for the Linden Commission of Inquiry terms of reference (TOR) knew nothing of the remuneration for the commissioners as this was the remit of the government once the TOR had been settled.

Responding to a question from the Speaker of the National Assembly on Monday about whether the emoluments of the commissioners were not a concern of the parties, especially the opposition, Harmon said this was an administrative duty which the government handled. This was during the examination by the Commit-tee of Supply of Financial Papers 3, 4 and 5, of 2012.

Financial Paper 3 had sought an allocation of $162 million as expenditure incurred in relation to the Commission of Inquiry and the operation of two technical teams established under the agreement between the Government of Guyana and the Regional Democratic Council of Region 10 signed on August 21, 2012. The Committee of Supply approved the allocation despite the opposition’s concerns about the magnitude of the spending.

Joseph Harmon
Juan Edghill

APNU Member of Parliament Jaipaul Sharma also asked whether the members of the tripartite party talks had any knowledge of the remuneration of the commissioners.

According to Minister within the Ministry of Finance Juan Edghill, Chairman of the Commission of Inquiry Lensley Wolfe earned in excess of $16 million; Justice Claudette Singh in excess of $13 million; KD Knight a sum of in excess of $14 million; Dana Seetahal in excess of $12 million and Cecil Kennard in excess of $12 million. In addition, Edghill said, the counsel to the commission received $1 million while the secretary to the commission received $1 million.

Edghill said the fees paid to the commissioners were lower, comparatively, than those paid to others in commissions overseas. He stated too that the sum of $88.4 million was for administrative costs in relation to the operation of the COI.

In relation to the sum of $136 million disallowed for contracted employees at the Office of the President and $68 million disallowed for consultancy under the same head, Edghill revealed the name of the consultants. Among them were Steven Grin, who he said received in excess of $15 million; Kevin Hogan in excess of $13 million; Kit Nascimento in excess of $1 million; K. Mohabir in excess of $12 million and Dario Mcklmon who receive d $3.6 million. The legend in the financial paper read that the amount was in relation to climate change consultancies and legal fees.

The opposition MPs continued to reject government’s insistence on providing the bare minimum of information with regard to the sums requested.

Comments  

Buttler hundred hands England ODI series victory

SYDNEY,  (Reuters) – England’s Jos Buttler struck a belligerent unbeaten 100 to set up a 16-run win over Australia in the third one-day international on Sunday, as the touring side took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.

Law to debar errant contractors coming by year end – Corbin

The Public Procurement Commission (PPC) hopes that by the end of this year debarment legislation would be in place as it will soon begin meeting with stakeholders on a draft.

House passes witness protection bill

A bill to provide a legal framework for the protection of witnesses was passed without amendment by the National Assembly on Friday evening despite arguments by the parliamentary opposition that it failed to take into account modern challenges.

Over $7M seized in Soesdyke raid expected to trigger money-laundering probe

The ownership of over $7 million in local and foreign currencies and several vehicles that were all seized during a raid by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara on Friday has raised questions and a separate probe is expected to be launched.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Weeks after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site in the same area.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×