Aussies blame pranks, lack of unity for poor Olympics

SYDNEY (Reuters) – Schoolboy pranks, over-inflated egos, a lack of team unity and unrealistic expectations filtered into the public domain yesterday as reasons for Australia’s poor showing in the Olympic swimming pool.

Australian swimmers suffered their worst Olympic performance for 20 years in London, failing to win an individual title and ending up with one relay gold, six silver and three bronze medals.

Swimming Australia announced a review into the disappointing display during the Games but is still framing the exact terms of reference and structure of the investigation.

Some individual team members, however, have already had their say on television, while the submission of one key figure, head coach Leigh Nugent, has been leaked to the media.

Many of the initial reports focus on the behaviour of the men’s 4×100 metres relay team, who, led off by 100 metres freestyle favorite James Magnussen, were expected to win gold but ended up out of the medals.

Tommaso D’Orsogna, who swam in the 4x100m heats, admitted to being party to misbehaviour during a pre-Games camp in Manchester, where squad members made prank telephone calls and knocked on bedroom doors.

“People are kind of saying ‘it’s just boys being boys’ but unfortunately I come back and I look back on that kind of thing and maybe that would be acceptable in schoolboy rugby… but this is the Australian Olympic team,” he told Channel 10 TV.

“That kind of behaviour shouldn’t be tolerated nor should it be allowed.

“I can definitely confirm that there’s no way that any other Australian team that went away to the Olympics would have been mucking around and doing that stuff.”

Libby Trickett, who helped Australia to the women’s 4x100m relay gold in her third Olympics, said the team spirit had not been the same as she had previously experienced.

Comments  

Tennis superstar Vickery wants to play for Guyana

Fresh from her victory over Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland (world- ranked number 35) whom she thrashed 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-finals of this year’s ASB Classic, American world-ranked tennis player Sachia Vickery accompanied by her mother Paula Liverpool and her brother Dominique Mitchell, yesterday paid a courtesy call to Minister of Social Cohesion who is also the Minister Responsible for Sport, Dr.

Minister Norton reiterates gov’t support for sport

Minister with Responsibility for Sport Dr. George Norton yesterday reiterated his support for boxing and sport in general during a courtesy call by the top brass of the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC) and some of the combatants on the ‘Bad Blood’ card scheduled for Saturday at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH).

GFF Marketing Director resigns

The year 2018 has started badly for the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) as its Marketing Director, Dario McKinnon, has reportedly tendered his resignation.

Windies exit World Cup but court controversy in defeat

MOUNT MAUNGANUI, New Zealand, CMC – West Indies Under-19s’ title defence ended in shambles with a heavy 76-run defeat to South Africa Under-19s, but controvery accompanied their disappointing exit from the International Cricket Council (ICC) Youth World Cup here yesterday.

Beaton remains buoyant amidst scrutiny of bowling action

West Indies fast bowler Ronsford Beaton says he remains reassured even though there are suspicions about the legality of his bowling action an issue which poses a threat to his fledging career.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×