Guard accused of beating, robbing man in wheelchair

A security guard, accused of beating and robbing a man in a wheelchair, was yesterday remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

Cecil Anderson, 32, who provided his address as 110 South Ruimveldt Park, appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court to answer to the robbery with violence charge, which he denied.

The allegation against him is that on June 12, at Subryanville, he robbed Alfred Mekdeci of a gold chain, valued $250,000.

Prosecutor Steven Telford told the court that around 6:05am on June 12, Mekdeci was in a wheelchair going north along the corner of the road when Anderson went up to him and ordered him to hand over the chain.

Telford said that after the complainant refused, Anderson dealt him several cuffs and tried to pull him out of the chair, forcing the complainant to pull the chain off and hand it over.

Anderson was subsequently arrested and charged following a report by the complainant.

Paul Fung-a-Fat, who represented Anderson, requested reasonable bail and told the court that nothing was found on his client and there was no confession statement from him and no ID parade had been conducted.

In his objection to bail, Prosecutor Telford cited the prevalence of the offence and noted that the address the defendant had given contradicted the one which the police was in possession of at the time.
As a result, he said, it could be risky if Anderson is placed on bail as the police may have difficulty locating him if he fails to return to court.

The magistrate, after hearing the submissions, announced that bail had been refused and the matter will be called again on July 8 for the filing of statements.

Around the Web

Comments