Suriname-based man charged with drunk driving after fatal accident

A Suriname-based Guyanese was slapped with three charges on Tuesday when he appeared in the Albion Magistrate’s Court before newly appointed Magistrate Rabindranauth Singh.

Sarwan Kumar Outar, 33, of Suriname and formerly of Cumberland, East Canje, Berbice, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol above the legal limit, failure to render assistance to an injured person at an accident scene and failure to stop after an accident where injuries were caused.

Anniesha Persaud
Anniesha Persaud

Outar pleaded not guilty to the charges. The defendant was represented by attorney at law, Mursaline Bacchus who applied for bail.

He was placed on $90,000 bail after the prosecutor, Lance Corporal Sherlock King, had no objections to bail. Outar was placed on $50,000 bail for drinking and driving and 20,000 each on the other two charges. He also had to lodge his passport with the court and has to report to the New Amsterdam Magistrate’s Court every Monday at 15:00 hrs.

Additionally, Outar will face another charge if the post-mortem examination shows that the deceased died from injuries she sustained from the accident.

It was reported that, on Sunday June 30, 2013 around 00:30 hrs, Anniesha Persaud called Annie, 23, of Rose Hall town and formerly of Betsy Ground, East Canje, was struck down while crossing the Port Mourant Public Road.

Persaud was struck down by a Surinamese vehicle (38 29 ZP) which was being driven by Outar.  After the accident occurred, he failed to stop and fled the scene. He was later apprehended by public-spirited citizens and handed over to the police station where he was taken into custody and given a breathalyzer test.

Eyewitnesses told this publication that when the woman was struck, she was flung up into the air.  “When she fall down she hit she head hard on the road and she was bleeding profusely.”

She was pitched roughly around 60 to 70 feet away from the point of impact according to the eyewitness.

Persaud was rushed to the public hospital in Berbice where she was admitted in a critical condition. She was later transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital where she succumbed.

Family members in the court yard told Stabroek News that they are looking for a settlement in the case. “We just want money to cover the funeral expenses,” her father, Chetram Persaud said.

This publication was told that the deceased Persaud used to always run away from home. Her family said they would go and bring her away from the streets but she would always escape. They also said that Persaud had a child but none of the family members knew the child.

Persaud leaves to mourn her parents, child, seven siblings and other relatives.

The matter was transferred to the Whim Magistrate’s Court where Outar is scheduled to appear on July 15, 2013.

Around the Web