Constables held over NA stalls theft may be charged with neglecting duties

Two constables who were held in connection with the robbery of 18 stalls at the New Amsterdam market may be charged with neglect of duties.

The vendors suffered millions of dollars in losses about three weeks ago. They were angry that the constables who were on duty were not alerted, despite the apparent noise by the bandits to break open the locks.

A police source told this newspaper that investigations are still ongoing and that it is not likely that the constables would be charged with theft.
Police have searched the homes of the constables and have not found any of the stolen items. Apart from the constables, no other arrests have been made.

Stabroek News had been told that the two constables were arrested after security guards from a nearby supermarket reported that they heard  sounds of pounding coming from the market.

The bandits gained entry by ripping open a rotten section of the metal door at back of the market. They broke into Bobby’s Jewellery Establishment and removed his tools, which they then used to pound some of the locks from other stalls open. They left the tools behind.

Some of the victims learnt about the break-in when they arrived to open their stalls for business that morning, while others found out through telephone calls from other vendors.

They had blasted the municipality for poor security and said the market has over 20 constables during the day but at night only two would work, including females.

They said the constables would be at the “front of the market during the night but they need to walk around often… More guards should be placed at the back door too.”

Comments  

Venezuela’s ally St. Lucia mulls ending visa-free entry for Venezuelans

Allen Chastanet   CASTRIES, St. Lucia, (Reuters) – The prime minister of the small Caribbean country of St.

I have never signed any Gecom contract in my capacity of Deputy Chief Election Officer and PRO

Dear Editor, Kindly publish my response, as follows, with regard to an anonymous letter published by the Guyana Chronicle on Wednesday, August 16, 2017, under the caption ‘Will the Auditor General investigate the deputy chief elections officer?’ Editor, this letter is the second deliberate attempt aimed at besmirching my integrity, obviously with clandestine objectives. 

Minister Hastings-Williams reassigned to Ministry of the Presidency

President David Granger, today, announced that Minister within the Ministry of Communities,  Dawn Hastings-Williams will assume the portfolio of Minister of Public Affairs in the Ministry of the Presidency with effect from September 1, 2017.

South African police confirm Grace Mugabe remains in the country

Grace Mugabe   JOHANNESBURG,  (Reuters) – South African police confirmed on Wednesday that Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe remained in the country and had applied for diplomatic immunity after being accused of assaulting a 20-year-old model in an upmarket Johannesburg hotel.

Daniel Craig confirms he will return as James Bond

Daniel Craig   LONDON, (Reuters) – British actor Daniel Craig has confirmed he will reprise the role of James Bond one last time, ending months of speculation.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×