New Zealand board supports Ryder’s continued exile

(Reuters) – New Zealand’s cricket board will continue to support Jesse Ryder during his rehabilitation from personal issues after the burly batsman ruled himself out of playing against England in the upcoming series.

Ryder, who stood down from national duties last year after breaking a self-imposed alcohol ban, had been in solid form for Wellington in New Zealand’s domestic competitions but has opted to continue his exile.

New Zealand host England in three Twenty20 matches next month, before three one-day internationals and three tests through March, but Ryder will instead put himself up for auction for the Indian Premier League, which starts in April.

New Zealand coach Mike Hesson and team manager Mike Sandle met with the 28-year-old on Tuesday and it was “agreed” he would continue with his personal plan, New Zealand Cricket said in a statement.

“New Zealand Cricket wants to continue to support Jesse and we are happy with the positive progress he has made to date,” Sandle said in the statement.

“Today’s meeting was part of ongoing communication with Jesse and we will continue to keep in touch with him and offer support and assistance.”

Ryder, an explosive opening batsman who has struggled with alcohol and weight problems, wanted to play a full season of domestic cricket before contemplating a return to the national team, his manager told local media this week.

New Zealand head into the home series against England a lowly eighth in test rankings after being trounced 2-0 in their two-match series away to South Africa.


Only a win will do!

(ICC) The ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2018 has thrown up some mouth-watering clashes and it has come down to a situation where even with only four Super Sixes games left, five teams are still in the fray for those top-two spots that will give them tickets to the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

Keemo Paul: I know the feeling of winning a World Cup

(ICC) Having won the ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup in 2016, Keemo Paul is determined to ensure Windies qualify for next year’s senior edition after his unexpected late call-up for the qualifying tournament in Zimbabwe.

Guinness Greatest of the Streets to commence March 28

With the Georgetown and West Demerara zones completed, the Guinness ‘Greatest of the Streets’ organisers have now set their sights on the East Coast Demerara leg which is scheduled to kick-off March 28th, at the Haslington Tarmac.

CBJ Centenary Cup set for March 31 between Guyana and T/dad

As the month-long celebrations for the former President Dr. Cheddi Jagan continue, the People’s Progressive Party/Civic will stage a one off T20 match between a Guyana side and a Trinidad team on March 31.

GFF shortlists 21 locals for CFU Women’s Challenge Series

The Guyana Football Federation (GFF) has shortlisted 21 locally-based players for preparation for the upcoming Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Women’s Challenge Series Tournament, scheduled for April.


Not Ready to Subscribe ?

You can still join over other 15,000 subscribers and receive FREE breaking news alerts as they happen and the morning brief featuring top stories of the day. 

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now