Penalty kicks decide two GFF Premier League fixtures

Riddim Squad overcame Mahaica Determinators on penalty kicks when the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Premier League continued at the Georgetown Football Club (GFC) ground, Bourda on Sunday.

Riddim Squad triumphed 4-3 after the two sides were 1-1 at the end of regulation time.

In an opening period which featured many broken plays, Azuma Roberts almost broke the deadlock for the Mahaica side in the 37th minute, lashing a powerful right footed strike from inside the right side of the area that forced a stop from custodian Dorville Stewart to his left.

Riddim Squad would, however, finish the period positively; opening their account in the 42nd minute through a powerful Linden Picketts header to the right side of the net after receiving a Delon John right sided cross from a free kick.

The Mocha-based side would be denied from adding to their lead in the 46th minute as striker Sheldon Gurrick’s right footed effort from just inside centre of the box struck the right upright.

Mahaica would restore parity to the score line in the 56th minute through a beautifully worked counterattack that was expertly finished by Delon Charles.

Attacking the centre of the penalty area, Charles latched on to a perfectly squared left sided cross from the speedy Roberts, finishing with his right boot to the lower right hand corner.

Roberts almost gave Mahaica the lead eight minutes later, pouncing on the ball after a moment of miscommunication between Picketts and custodian Stewart.

Bearing down on left fullback Picketts, Roberts would intercept a wayward back pass intended for the advancing Stewart from the defender before shooting to the open net, only to be denied by the sliding goal line clearance of centre back Stephon Ramsay.


The woodwork would come to the rescue of the Mahaica side once again as captain Sceyon Hope’s left footed thunderbolt from 24 yards out came crashing off the crossbar in the 79th minute.

Amos Ramsay almost found the winner for Riddim Squad in the 86th minute, driving his left footed missile from 23 yards away narrowly wide of the right post.

On the East Coast of Demerara at the Beterverwagting (BV) Community Centre ground, the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) defeated Buxton United 5-4 on kicks from the penalty marker following 2-2 score at the end of normal time.

Delwyn Fraser netted a double in the 16th and 30th minutes for the army unit while Clive Andries bagged a brace in the 27th and 43rd minutes for the East Coast side.

In the second match of the doubleheader, BK Western Tigers led by goals from Hubert Pedro and Stellon David in the 14th and 27th minute’s respectively defeated home side BV/Triumph United 2-1. On target for the losers in the 55th minute was lanky forward Delroy Dean.


Around the Web