A Sophia man is now nursing severe burns about his body after coming into contact with a live wire while trying to retrieve a kite on Wednesday.
Clinton Charles, 20, is now a patient of the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was admitted after the incident.
Following the episode, the Guyana Power and Light Inc (GPL) said in a press release that it speaks directly to the public disregarding precautionary warnings issued by the company during the Easter season. The company once again warned the public against flying kites near power lines. “This is the number one danger to which kite flyers are exposed. If perhaps it becomes entangled in our network, never try to recover it as tugging the kite can affect the quality of electricity being supplied to nearby communities and result in loss of life and/or injuries,” it added.