Residents restive over East Bank Berbice road

A deplorable section of the East Bank Berbice road

Frustrated with the deplorable condition of the East Bank of Berbice (EBB) road, residents are planning to stage another protest this year if government does not keep its promise to construct one.

The residents told Stabroek News that they were “waiting for the budget to pass to know if the road was included.”

They recalled that following a major protest last year, promises were made for the construction of a new road in the first quarter of 2014.

They had even taken the picketing exercise in front of parliament building. They lamented that it is “time the promises are fulfilled because we have been traversing the pothole-filled road for too long.”

A deplorable section of the East Bank Berbice road
A deplorable section of the East Bank Berbice road

Drivers told this newspaper that they cannot avoid driving in the potholes and that it is causing severe damage to their vehicles and resulting in them undergoing additional expenses every six weeks.

A resident told this newspaper that if the government officials know they “cannot fix the road they should come out and say what the plans are. They can’t allow the time to pass and don’t say anything.”

Some drivers said when they leave the area in the mornings they would rather work around New Amsterdam all day and return in the afternoon. Some drivers have even started to charge extra money because of the damage to their vehicles.

Minister of Public Works, Robeson Benn, during a sitting of the National Assembly last year had said that a feasibility study and design of the road was expected to begin shortly.

Residents recalled too that during the Arrival Day celebration at Highbury, EBB in 2012, President Donald Ramotar “went on stage and said we would get a new road. He said he would see to it that it was passed in the 2013 budget. We’re still waiting…”

Ramotar had also said during a meeting with the Berbice Chamber of Commerce and Development Association last year that “to do that road we are borrowing money from the IDB and again they want a study done before they disburse the money.”

He had nevertheless promised that his government would try to accelerate the process. The earliest date “we think that we can build the road that we want to build for the East Bank of Berbice would be the beginning of next year [2014],” he added.

“In the meantime, we will be putting all the resources needed to make it passable, for it to be acceptable,” he had said.

Contacted, Regional Chairman of Region Six, David Armogan told this newspaper, “There is continuous maintenance of the road by H. Nauth & Sons Construction.” He said too that the Ministry of Public Works is the agency responsible for the road.

Residents said the maintenance work was not helping too much. They stressed that “the money government is spending to patch the road they coulda save for when they’re rebuilding it.”

They said too: “In the dry weather, dust blowing all over… and when the rain fall the road is slushy and you can’t even see the potholes.”

Comments  

Some sugar workers to get full severance end of January

Finance Minister Winston Jordan today moved in Parliament to amend the government’s request for supplementary provisions which will allow some of the sugar workers made redundant to get their full severance at the end of January.

WPA says backs restructuring of sugar

The Working People’s Alliance (WPA) today announced its support for the government’s restructuring of the sugar industry.

GRA warns about imposters

The Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) today warned about the impersonation of licenced customs brokers.

Easy win gives England 2-0 series lead over Australia

(Reuters) – England’s top order fired in unison to give them a four-wicket win in the second one-day international against Australia on Friday as Aaron Finch’s second straight hundred for the hosts could not prevent them falling 2-0 behind in the series.

Gov’t seeking supplementary funds of $1.75b for sugar severance

Four weeks after passing a $267 billion budget for 2018, the National Assembly will debate a supplemental provision of $1.75 billion to meet a portion of the severance pay for around 4,000 sugar workers.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×