Murder accused’s statement implicated co-defendant in nine-year-old Sade’s rape

– court hears

Charles Cush, one of the two men accused of the murder of Sade Stoby, gave a statement to police in which he admitted witnessing his co-accused Jevon Wharton and another man raping the nine-year-old at Mocha in 2007.

Cush, 21, and Wharton, 23, are on trial for the November 2007 murder before Justice Navindra Singh and a mixed jury. The men allegedly committed the crime at Barnwell, Mocha, East Bank Demerara and they were 14 and 16 years old, respectively, at the time.

Cush’s statement was admitted into evidence and marked as an exhibit in the trial by Justice Navindra Singh after a voir dire was conducted to determine its admissibility.

Sade Stoby
Sade Stoby

The statement had been signed in the presence of Assistant Superintendent of Police Elston Baird and a relative.

Charles Cush
Charles Cush

Cush, in the statement, said that on November 2, 2007 he, another male by the name of Carlos, and Wharton went to the bridge and they carried Sade in the bush in Sixth Field, Mocha. It was there, he said, Wharton started to rape her. “He tek off she clothes and she tights and she underwear,” he said.

He further stated that when he tried to rape her it did not work. He said Carlos “go and he sex Sade and then we left Sade brace up by the tree and Carlos turn back… me alone went by the trench and swim and my skin get wet,” he said.

The statement was read by Baird in the High Court yesterday. A visibly annoyed Wharton glanced at Cush in shock while the statement was being read.

Senior State Counsel Judith Gildharie-Mursalin is presenting the state’s case while Raymond Alli is representing Wharton. Cush is being represented by attorney George Thomas.

Earlier this week, a weeping Eric Stoby, the father of Sade Stoby, testified via audio/ visual link from the Guyana Consulate in New York about how he found Sade’s bloated body.

Jevon Wharton
Jevon Wharton
Comments  

18 Lusignan prisoners hurt after reported bid to kill ‘informant’

Eighteen prisoners at the Lusignan penitentiary were being treated for injuries last night following a reported attempt to kill a fellow inmate during which warders fired shots.

Girl, 12, crushed to death by LBI house

A 12-year-old girl is now dead, while her brother narrowly escaped a similar fate yesterday after their aunt’s La Bonne Intention (LBI), East Coast Demerara house, which they were under, collapsed on them.

By ,

Guyana applies to key EU watchdog on natural resources revenues

Guyana has officially applied for membership in the European Union’s Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) which will help in tracking revenues from oil and other natural resources.

Halt of police promotions to prevent damage to force -Harmon

State Minister Joseph Harmon yesterday reiterated that President David Granger’s directive to the Police Service Commission to halt its consideration of promotions was intended to prevent damage to the image of the Guyana Police Force but he could not say under what authority the head of state acted.

‘Make security a priority,’ Granger urges Region Nine during visit

While saying that a strong security presence along the country’s borders is the first line of defence against transnational criminal syndicates, President David Granger yesterday called for cooperation by all actors to see the security of Region Nine as a priority.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×