Gov’t ready to deal with no-confidence fallout -Ramotar

President Donald Ramotar yesterday dared the opposition to move a no-confidence vote against his government.

“We do not take threats. If the opposition wants to pass a no-confidence bill, let them pass it and we will be ready to deal with the consequences of that,” Ramotar said while delivering remarks at the Private Sector Commission’s Annual General Meeting yesterday at the Pegasus Hotel in Georgetown.

Ramotar was responding to a disclosure by AFC Vice-Chairman Moses Nagamootoo in yesterday’s Stabroek News that his party is seriously contemplating a no-confidence motion against Ramotar’s government.

Nagamootoo had cited what he said was the government’s lack of regard for accountability, among other issues. He pointed to the recent revelation that the government had already spent $4.6 billion of the $37.4 billion which had been cut by the joint opposition from the national budget. The government has now tabled a financial paper in Parliament to cover the expenditure but there is no guarantee that the opposition will support it.

Nagamootoo said that this was just the sort of behaviour that shows the government lacks accountability. He said that a no-confidence motion “would have to be supported by the entire opposition. It is not a unilateral decision for the AFC, but it is something that is now coming to the table in light of the serious financial breach.”

A visibly perturbed Ramotar, when asked if he was in battle mode, said, “Whatever man, whatever.”

Further probed if he was going to call for general elections, he replied, “When I say I am going to do it, I am going to do it,”

A no-confidence vote passed by the one-seat opposition majority would end Ramotar’s administration and pave the way for new elections.

Article 106(6) of the constitution states: “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence.” New elections would then have to be held in three months.

Nagamootoo, who was a longstanding member of the PPP/C before switching to the AFC in 2011, told Stabroek News that “unauthorised spending not approved by Parliament shows just what they are capable of and what their intentions are.” Nagamootoo said that a no-confidence motion could be used to end the constant gridlock on a variety of issues, including the anti-laundering legislation.

A former PPP/C Minister of Information, Nagamootoo told Stabroek News that the PPP/C was in a minority government but the behaviour of government ministers were as if the PPP/C headed a majority government.

Stabroek News asked Nagamootoo if the AFC was doing all that it could to instigate change as the swing party in the National Assembly. He said that more could be done and that the discussions coming out of the no-confidence talks will most likely tackle the way forward.

Comments  

India’s Kohli named ICC Cricketer of the Year

MUMBAI, (Reuters) – India captain Virat Kohli had something to cheer on Thursday when he was named ICC World Cricketer of the Year, a day after suffering his first test series defeat as skipper in South Africa.

City councillors vote for revised parking meter deal

Fifteen city councillors voted yesterday in favour of accepting the recommendations of the parking meter renegotiation committee, which would see a reduction in parking fees to $150 per hour, exemptions for religious organisations and schools, and Smart City Solutions (SCS) giving up on their claim to garage parking.

Soldier remanded over $5M armed robberies, gun and ammo

A GDF rank was yesterday remanded to prison over three armed robbery charges and alleged possession of an unlicensed gun and ammunition.

Trotman stoutly defends ExxonMobil investment here

Minister of Natural Resources and Leader of the Alliance for Change (AFC), Raphael Trotman on Monday praised ExxonMobil for investing in the oil sector here and said it is now resulting in other important companies wanting to do business here.

City cop for manslaughter charge

The city lance corporal, who on Sunday allegedly shot and killed Marlon Fredericks, a mentally-challenged vendor, after he reportedly attempted to flee custody is to be charged with manslaughter.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×