GuySuCo board seat up for discussion – Chand

Head of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) Komal Chand said he will be discussing the possibility of accepting an invitation to sit on the new Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) Board of Directors.

He said that by Monday the union will make a decision on whether to accept the invitation after a weekend of consultations.

On June 16, during a rally held at the Enmore Martyrs Monument Site, at Enmore, East Coast Demerara, President Donald Ramotar had publicly invited Chand to sit on the next GuySuCo Board. This was after Chand had criticised GuySuCo’s management during his address at the rally. Blaming the depressed state of the corporation on poor management, Chand had said “A new board of directors is long, long overdue…, especially since the last Chairman became the new Chief Executive Officer, leaving GuySuCo headless and the present board headless….” Chand revealed that he had since received a formal invitation from Minister of Agriculture Dr Leslie Ramsammy to sit on the board. He said that the decision is not being taken lightly and that all the factors will need to be considered especially in relation to the union’s position as a critical member of the corporation and its current management.

He did address whether GuySuCo had begun the process of full financial disclosure, which was one of the fundamental demands Chand had said he would make of the corporation if he were to consider the President’s offer of a seat on the board.

Chand also did not offer any comment on whether the board seat may end up being done as an appointment, with an elected GAWU representative sitting instead.

In his criticism of GuySuCo, Chand had also said that the management system was flawed and the appointment of the previous board chairman Rajendra Singh to the position of CEO did little to ease worries over the management structure of the state-owned company.

He had called for full disclosure of the over $31 billion that was handed over by the European Union(EU) as the accompanying measures to the reform of the EU sugar regime needed.

Recently during a meeting of the Parliamentary Economic Services Committee, Singh had stated there was no agreement in place to mandate that EU funding be given to GuySuCo. However the basis for the Financing Agreement for the Guyana Annual Action Programme on Accompanying Measures for Sugar Protocol Countries is to ensure that funding is provided through budgetary support.

The EU has departed from project based funding over the years allowing for monies to be provided through budget support.

During GuySuCo’s meeting with the parliamentary committee, Singh was unable to account for any funding this year and he questioned if funding was handed over in 2013.

It was also revealed during the committee meeting that prior to finalising the board two members needed to agree to their potential appointments. The life of the current board had to be extended after it expired last year December, with the deadline for the appointments to be July.

 

 

Comments  

Billions diverted by prison unrest partly to blame for GuySuCo severance shortfall in budget – Trotman

Alliance for Change (AFC) leader Raphael Trotman yesterday said the diversion of billions to the security sector after the destruction of the Camp Street prison was partly responsible for the government not budgeting the full sum for severance payments to laid off sugar workers.

Cops seek motive for Pomeroon murders

  The police were up to yesterday afternoon still working to ascertain the motive behind the murders of Ambrose Baharally and Martin Godette, the Pomeroon farmers who were shot dead on Sunday and a potential witness was taken into custody to assist with the investigation.

Ramotar claims gov’t ignored promised India loans for sugar industry

Former President Donald Ramotar has accused the current government of accepting loans from India that he initiated except those pertaining to the rehabilitation of the sugar industry but State Minister Joseph Harmon says he is unaware of the claim and has urged that the former head of state prove it.

Child rapist sentenced to 45 years

Omadat Persaud, who was on trial for raping a five-year-old girl in 2015, was yesterday afternoon sentenced to 45 years in jail after a jury unanimously convicted him of the crime.

Mother urges justice for vendor killed by city cop

The mother of Marlon Fredericks, the mentally-challenged vendor who was fatally shot by a member of the city constabulary on Sunday, yesterday called for justice for her son, while saying that an autopsy found that he died of a gunshot wound to his chest.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×