England batsman Compton to take immediate break

LONDON, (Reuters) – England top order batsman Nick Compton is to take an immediate break from cricket after a challenging start to the season “both physically and mentally”, Middlesex and England management said yesterday.

The decision means the South African-born number three, whose future with England had already been called into question, can be ruled out of the test series against Pakistan between July 14 and Sept. 7.

Nick Compton
Nick Compton

Durham’s Scott Borthwick looks likely to be recalled for the opening test at Lord’s. “It has been agreed that the best way forward is for Compton to spend some time away from the game,” Middlesex said in a statement, which did not indicate how long the break might be.

The county side’s managing director of cricket, Angus Fraser, said it would allow him to “refresh, recharge and return to play the sort of cricket we all know he is capable of producing.”

The statement added that the player, who turns 33 on Sunday, would receive the full support of his county and England management.

Compton, has been suffering a run drought and scored only 51 from five innings in England’s recent test series against Sri Lanka.

Around the Web

Comments