File on Tuschen fatal crash for legal advice tomorrow

The case file in relation to four-year-old Ramkarran Mohan who was struck down and killed more than one week ago on the Tuschen Housing Scheme Main Road will be sent tomorrow for legal advice, according to a release issued by the Guyana Police Force yesterday.

Mohan, of 1008 Tuschen Housing Scheme, East Bank Essequibo and a student of the Tuschen Nursery School, died on March 14, hours after he was struck down by a car on the Tuschen Housing Scheme Main Road.

Stabroek News had previously reported that Mohan and his older brother had accompanied an uncle to the shop in order to purchase a ball to play cricket and were returning home when the incident occurred.

Ramkarran Mohan

His grandmother, Bibi Khan, had told this newspaper, “My son had hold on to his hands. They were coming back from the shop right next to us, but the car come and hooked him out and he fell and the car drive over he and stopped a good distance away.”

Mohan was picked up by the driver and taken to the Leonora Cottage Hospital. He was later transferred to the West Demerara Regional Hospital where he succumbed the same afternoon.

A post-mortem examination revealed that he had sustained a fractured skull and internal injuries.

The driver was taken into custody and was reportedly later released on $20,000 station bail.

On Friday, family members staged a protest demanding justice for the dead child which according to Khan was because the family is upset at the manner in which the police are handling the case and because they had not received any updates from the police.

The police in the statement said, “The administration of the force has noted and respects the views expressed by those concerned in the media but wishes to caution those who rush to judgement consciously and unconsciously and sometimes conveniently forgetting that investigations into a matter [are] not a ‘fly by night’ process”.

It added, that due to the circumstances of how the incident occurred, “greater attention to detail had to be exercised, prior to submitting the file for advice.” The police therefore urged all concerned to be patient as a professional approach into the matter has always been at the forefront.

On Friday evening, Police Commander of ‘D’ Division Leslie James when contacted for an update had told this publication that the file had been sent to Traffic Chief Dion Moore for review after which it would be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice.

Around the Web

Comments