Cuba says private sector freeze will not last years

HAVANA, (Reuters) – The Cuban government said yesterday the freeze on new licences for some private-sector occupations would not last years, in an attempt to reassure citizens worried about an apparent pause in the liberalization of the economy. Communist-run Cuba last week said it was suspending issuing licenses for popular activities like renting out rooms in homes while it took new measures to “perfect” the functioning of the nascent private sector and curb wrongdoing.

“We are not talking about a very long period of time. We are not talking about years,” Labor Vice Minister Marta Elena Feitó said in an interview aired on state-run television. “We are talking about a normal work procedure to approve these norms.”

Feitó said around 1,600 applications for licenses for affected occupations filed before the freeze was announced would be processed.

The number of self-employed on the island has more than tripled to 567,982 since President Raul Castro in 2010 launched his plan to open up the centrally planned economy to more private initiative and market forces. For many Cubans, self-employment or work at cooperatives offers an opportunity to earn more than the average state wage of $30 per month.

The Cuban government legalized nonagricultural cooperatives five years ago.

Worries that the government is reneging on its reform plan were exacerbated on Friday when one fast-growing cooperative said it had been ordered to shut down.

Scenius, which provides accounting and business consultancy services mainly to state companies, said the order came after the finance ministry complained it was offering skills outside its official remit.

Scenius General Director Alfonso Larrea denounced the order on his Facebook page for destroying the “faith of 300 cooperativists … and thousands of Cubans who believed it was possible to dream.”

 

Comments  

T&T PM: ‘I have proof UNC ministers took bribes’

(Trinidad Express) Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said he has evidence that former United National Congress (UNC) Ministers received bribes when in office.

T&T CJ sues to block Law Association probe

(Trinidad Guardian) In an historic move, Chief Justice Ivor Archie has initiated legal action against the Law Association, saying it has no authority to investigate him, and has sought to block any further action by the association pending the outcome of High Court action.

St Vincent PM interrupted by protesters during Cave Hill lecture

(Barbados Nation) “We are in solidarity with our sisters across the region… Justice for all!” was the cry that rung out Thursday night as placard-waving protesters disrupted a public lecture by St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves at the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus.

Nine Venezuelans held in T&T weapons raid

(Trinidad Express)  Police on Thursday raided a house in La Romaine where nine Venezuelan men were allegedly found with firearms, 287 rounds of assorted ammunition and cash.

British High Commissioner on terror plot talks: Time for T&T to get real

(Trinidad Guardian) British High Commissioner to T&T, Tim Stew, on Thursday confirmed that the terror threat made on T&T’s Carnival was serious enough for the governments of T&T, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada and the United States to hold high level talks on security.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×