Businessman found not guilty of murdering suspected bandit

With tears of joy, businessman Lawrence Wayne yesterday walked out of the High Court in Georgetown a free man after being acquitted of the murder of Dexter Lindo.

The jury unanimously found Wayne not guilty of the capital offence, and by a proportion of 11 to 1 not guilty of the lesser offence of manslaughter.

It is the second time that the businessman is being cleared of any culpability in Lindo’s killing.

Lawrence Wayne

On October 16, 2015, he was discharged at the conclusion of a preliminary inquiry into the murder charge against him. Four months later, however, he was rearrested on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions, who ordered that the case be reopened.

The jury forewoman’s announcement of the verdicts, after some three hours of deliberations, were met with applause from Wayne’s anxious relatives, some of whom were moved to tears after his handcuffs were taken off.

Lindo’s relatives, however, were vocal about their discontent with the result.

Justice Jo-Ann Barlow, who presided over the trial, told Wayne that he was free to go, but not before she cautioned him to stay away from trouble. “Sometimes trouble comes, but run far from it,” she told him.

Wayne, a licensed firearm holder, was charged with murdering Lindo between August 23 and August 24, 2014, at Alberttown, Georgetown.

He has always maintained his innocence.

Lindo, according to police, had been one of two armed bandits who entered a stall at the Merriman Mall, Bourda. “Upon seeing the men, the female owner ran and raised an alarm and a licensed firearm holder responded,” a police statement on the shooting said.

Lindo was subsequently shot and he succumbed to his injuries the following morning while receiving treatment at Dr. Balwant Singh’s Hospital.

Wayne was represented by attorneys Stanley Moore and Maxwell McKay, while the state’s case was led by Prosecutor Shawnette Austin, who called 20 witnesses to the stand.

Comments  

Corriverton town council to meet on blocked flag-raising

The Corriverton Town Council is expected to meet tomorrow  to discuss the way forward after   police stopped their flag-raising programme allegedly because the police had not granted permission.

Russian spy ship in T&T waters

(Trinidad Guardian) The Russian intelligence-gathering vessel Viktor Leonov returned to Trinidad for a second time this year and was docked near the Hyatt yesterday.

Overseas firm to advise on remaining oil blocks – Trotman

An international firm will advise the Guyana Government on how to market the country’s remaining unassigned oil blocks, according to Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman.

‘Why is he going out there making noise about private companies?’

Minister of State Joseph Harmon has berated Auditor General Deodat Sharma for publicly commenting on the ongoing investigation of the D’Urban Park Development Project and for reaching out to a private company for information instead of the government.

Skeletal remains found in razed Plaisance apartment building

Skeletal remains, suspected to be those of an elderly Plaisance resident, were yesterday discovered in the ruins of the Victoria Road, Plaisance, East Coast Demerara apartment building that was razed by a mystery fire on Friday.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×