Foulis girl succumbs after minibus accident

Dead: Seemattie Seodatt

A 17-year-old girl of Foulis, East Coast Demerara, succumbed to her injuries on Monday morning, three days after she and her brother were involved in an accident with a minibus along the Enmore Public Road.

Seemattie Seodatt of Lot 175 Foulis is said to have succumbed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) around 8:30 am. She sustained massive head injuries and never regained consciousness after the accident.

Her brother, Bissoon Seodatt, who was riding the bicycle at the time of the accident, sustained a broken shoulder and several stitches to his head.

He was taken to the said hospital where he was treated and sent away.

Dead: Seemattie Seodatt

According to information gathered by Stabroek News, the accident occurred around 4:30pm last Friday while Seemattie and her brother were heading to a gas station along the Enmore Public Road to purchase kerosene.

Reports revealed that the minibus, BTT 4265 was proceeding east on the public road when it collided with Seemattie who was crossing the road.

However, the dead girl’s sister, Dolly Seodat, when contacted by this newspaper said that based on what the family was told, her siblings had already crossed the road when the minibus allegedly attempted to overtake another vehicle.

“He (Bissoon) did towing she (Seemattie) and we hear he (the driver) try to swerve and he hit them down and she (Seemattie) pitch and she head knock on the culvert”, she explained.

The woman said the latest update they have on the incident was that the driver who was taken into custody after the accident was placed on $100,000 station bail after his 72-hours detention period expired.

Comments  

City cop fired over sex abuse of minor

One day after saying that there was not enough evidence for the administration to act, Town Clerk Royston King yesterday dismissed the constabulary officer who is accused of sexually abusing a juvenile in the custody of City Constabulary for misconduct.

By ,

Pork knocker charged with murdering businessman

Pork knocker Aubrey Bobb was yesterday charged with the murder of businessman Godfrey Scipio, who police say he fatally shot during a robbery last Thursday.

Woman beaten by partner jumps from burning Da Silva St building

A mother of two is now homeless and nursing injuries at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) after her partner attacked her and set their Da Silva Street house on fire.

Defence seeks discharge of accused in ‘Mango Man’ murder over trial delay

Recaptured prison escapee Mark Royden Williams, called ‘Smallie,’ and Sherwin Nero, called ‘Catty,’ were yesterday both indicted for the 2007 murder of Kumar Singh, called ‘Mango Man,’ but their attorney, Nigel Hughes, urged that they be discharged due to the “long time” they have had to wait for a trial.

By ,

NAREI seals $19.2M contract to improve Essequibo river defence

The National Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI) yesterday signed a contract with S&K Construction Services for $19.2M to improve river defences on the Essequibo coast.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×